1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Troubled with Definition

1. May 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

extension theorem

"A "subsentence" of a given sentence is a sentence that‘s a part of the given sentence, where we count a sentence as a part of itself. A "proper subsentence" of a given sentence is a subsentence of the given sentence other than itself."

i don't understand "subsentence of the given sentence other than itself"

could anyone give me some example to make me understand?

i'm studying mathematical logic, but i think this question is more to language than math.
    I don't know if it is legal to post question like this, since i don't know any active linguistic forum,and lazy to find one, ;P, i hope someone help me with this. and if it is illegal, tell me.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two sentences, A and B
    • A does not contain a proper subsentence.
    • B is a bit more verbose; it contains two proper subsentences.

The whole is a part (a trivial part) of the whole. Thus sentence A contains a subsentence (sentence A itself), but it does not contain a proper subsentence. Snip any part off of sentence A and you no longer have something that obeys the rules of grammar as to what constitutes a sentence. Now look at the two phrases in Sentence B, "B is a bit more verbose" and "it contains two proper subsentences." Both of these phrases follow the rules of grammar for what constitutes a sentence. They are sentences in and of themselves. They are proper subsentences.

4. May 17, 2010 #3
    yes, yes i get it now, thank you :D

5. May 18, 2010 #4
    sorry, but this bugging me

"The only subsentence of (φ ∨ ψ) other than (φ ∨ ψ) itself are the subsentences of φ and the subsentences of ψ." (i pick this from lecture note)

is that mean φ and ψ is a "proper subsentence"?

if it is, it's clearly said that φ and ψ is a "subsentence"

so, meaning every "proper subsentence" is a subset of "subsentence"???

6. May 18, 2010 #5
    hey of course it is, "..is a subsentence of the given sentence other than itself." (clearly said from definiton, sorry)

but still i confused with "given sentence other than itself"

7. May 18, 2010 #6
    A comma would make it more clear.

A proper subsentence is a subsentence of the given sentence, other than itself.

or

A proper subsentence is any subsentence of a given sentence, except that the given sentence is not a proper subsentence of itself.

that clearer?

8. May 18, 2010 #7
    Yesss, very clear. thanks :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook