Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troubled with the indices

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    I have an equation that says $$C_1\partial_{\mu}G^{\mu\nu}+C_2\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\partial_{\mu}G_{\rho\sigma}=0$$ If I want to get rid of the ##\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}## in the second term, I know I must multiply the equation by some other ##\epsilon## with different set of indices, but I could use some help in knowing what those incides must be to avoid repeating dummy indices and at the same time being able to end up with an equation with a new epsilon present in the first term (the one with ##C_1##). My aim from all this process is to convert the first ##G^{\mu\nu}## to ##\star G^{\mu\nu}##, i.e., the Hodge dual of ##G^{\mu\nu}##. Any tip will do it, thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest starting by rewriting the ##G^{\mu\nu}## in terms of the components of the hodge dual, this should get you started.

4. Sep 20, 2015 #3
    Do you mean that ##\tilde{G}^{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}G_{\rho\sigma}##?

5. Sep 20, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but if you want the left term to be expressed in the hodge dual, you need to invert that expression.

6. Sep 20, 2015 #5
    Yes, that is what I am having troubles in. To take the epsilon to the other side where the index placement is giving me a hard time.

7. Sep 20, 2015 #6
    I will give it a shot though I feel I am mistaken: Maybe, this would be more like: ##2\epsilon^{\mu\nu\rho\sigma}\tilde{G}_{\rho\sigma}=G^{\mu\nu}##? Is this by any chance correct? @Orodruin

8. Sep 20, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How does the ##\varepsilon##-##\delta## relation look in four dimensions?

9. Sep 20, 2015 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This part of the wikipedia entry on the Kronecker delta and its generalisation might help.

10. Sep 20, 2015 #9
    $$\epsilon^{\rho\sigma\mu\nu}\epsilon_{\mu\nu\rho'\sigma'}=-2(\delta^{\rho}_{\rho'}\delta^{\sigma}_{\sigma'}-\delta^{\rho}_{\sigma'}\delta^{\sigma}_{\rho'})$$

I hope this is what you mean as I am new to those terminologies and to differential geometry in general. Please bear with me @Orodruin .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook