Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troubles with some math Translations

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Hey I'm having a few troubles with some Translations if anyone could help me out.

15. The graph of y=f(x). where f(x) = |x+4| + 1, its reflected in the y axis. This produces the same results as would translating the graph of y=f(x) to the right by how many units?

I was sick for a bit so I sort of forget or am unsure of how you'd figure that out. Essentially what does |x+4| + 1 look like? Is it a prabola or a straight line sort of deal. I think after that reminder I could manage.

Okay and heres a few more... They have pics so it might be hard... so I'll try and simplify.

if y=f(x^2) -3 what does y=1/f(x^2) -3 look like? Its multiple choice but its hard to explain since they are in picture format. What happens to parabola's when they are 1/f(x)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

f(x)= |x+4| is a "bent" straight line. It is the straight line through (0,4) and (-4,0) to the right of x=-4 and then "bends" to go through (-5, 1) again.

f(x)= |x+4|+ 1 is that moved up 1.

Reflecting in the y axis changes x to -x so (-4,1) to (4,1), same as translating 8 places to the right.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?