1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troublesome Integral

1. Aug 17, 2005 #1
    A quantum mechanics problem calls for the reader to find the momentum space wave function of [tex] \Psi(x,0) = A/(x^2 + a^2) [/tex]. But I do not know how to resolve the fourier transform:

[tex] \Phi(p, 0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-i p x/\hbar} \frac{A}{x^2+a^2}dx.[/tex]​

The problem implies an exact solution can be found since it subsequantly asks you to check normalization and compute the expected values of p and p2 using the transformed fn. Mathematica evaluates the transform in terms of a special fn MeijerG.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral has singularities at x = ia and x = -ia. To evaluate the integral you need evaluate the residues resulting from closing the path either in the upper half plane (Im z > 0) or the lower half plane (Im x < 0) depending on the sign of x (i.e. with a semicircle whose radius approaches infinity).
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  4. Aug 17, 2005 #3
    Singularities? I don't understand. The integrand is well-defined for all real values x and the integral almost certainly exists over any range. Sorry, I have not had a course in complex analysis.
  5. Aug 17, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry about that - I edited my original post to reflect the correct locations of the singularities.

I assumed you were familiar with complex analysis but, since you're not, what I said won't make sense to you. I'll have to think a bit about how to do it without invoking complex analysis.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?