Solving Troublesome Integral: Quantum Mechanics Problem

• Thread starter genxhis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about a quantum mechanics problem that involves finding the momentum space wave function using a Fourier transform. The problem also asks for checking normalization and computing expected values. The transform can be evaluated using Mathematica but involves singularities at certain points. The conversation also mentions the need for complex analysis to fully understand and solve the problem.
genxhis
A quantum mechanics problem calls for the reader to find the momentum space wave function of [tex] \Psi(x,0) = A/(x^2 + a^2) [/tex]. But I do not know how to resolve the Fourier transform:

[tex] \Phi(p, 0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-i p x/\hbar} \frac{A}{x^2+a^2}dx.[/tex]​

The problem implies an exact solution can be found since it subsequantly asks you to check normalization and compute the expected values of p and p2 using the transformed fn. Mathematica evaluates the transform in terms of a special fn MeijerG.

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral has singularities at x = ia and x = -ia. To evaluate the integral you need evaluate the residues resulting from closing the path either in the upper half plane (Im z > 0) or the lower half plane (Im x < 0) depending on the sign of x (i.e. with a semicircle whose radius approaches infinity).

Last edited:
Singularities? I don't understand. The integrand is well-defined for all real values x and the integral almost certainly exists over any range. Sorry, I have not had a course in complex analysis.

genxhis,

Sorry about that - I edited my original post to reflect the correct locations of the singularities.

I assumed you were familiar with complex analysis but, since you're not, what I said won't make sense to you. I'll have to think a bit about how to do it without invoking complex analysis.

What is a troublesome integral in quantum mechanics?

A troublesome integral in quantum mechanics is an integral that cannot be easily solved using standard mathematical techniques. It often involves complex functions and requires advanced mathematical methods to solve.

Why is solving troublesome integrals important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, troublesome integrals often arise when trying to calculate important physical quantities such as energy levels or transition probabilities. Solving these integrals accurately is crucial for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making predictions about their behavior.

What are some techniques for solving troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics?

Some techniques for solving troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics include approximation methods such as perturbation theory, numerical integration, and the use of special functions such as Bessel functions or hypergeometric functions.

Can troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics be solved analytically?

In some cases, troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics can be solved analytically using specialized mathematical methods. However, this is not always possible and numerical techniques may need to be used.

Are there any software programs that can help solve troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can help solve troublesome integrals in quantum mechanics. Some examples include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB. These programs use advanced algorithms and numerical methods to accurately solve complex integrals.