1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troublesome vectors

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1
    I have 2 vectors, which are plotted using the tail-tip method to form a non-right triangle.

Side A is vector 1, side B is vector 2, and side C is my resultant.
    I know I can get angle C, but that's where I'm stuck.

How do you get angle C? In simple terms....:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's a bit confusing to talk about "side C" and "angle C"! Standard notation is that the lengths of the three sides of the triangle are a, b, c and the angles opposite each are A, B, C respectively. If you know a, b, c, then use the cosine law to find C: c2= a2[/sup]+ b2- 2ab cos(C). Plug in a, b, c and solve for C.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    I don't have c. I have a, b, and their degrees, but no c. I don't have A or B either.

I'm trying to sove for C, but I must have c before I can use the law of cosines.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    how about law of sins

sin A / a = sin B / b = sin C / c

6. Oct 14, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You orginally said "Side A is vector 1, side B is vector 2, and side C is my resultant" so it was reasonable to assume that you knew those 3 lengths. In vector problems, normally you know two vectors, say lengths a and b, and the angle between them, but that would be C which you say you don't know. If lengths a and b are the only values you have, you can't solve this: two parts of a triangle are not enough! What information do you have?

7. Oct 14, 2005 #6
    You have to understand that the resultant vector componants are the sum of the adding vectors. Add the vertical component of the vector A to the vertical component of vector B. Then add the horizontal component of the vector A to horizontal component of vector B. Then you have the components of vector C and the magnitude of C = ((Ay + By)^2 + (Ax + Bx)^2)^1/2

8. Oct 14, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's one way to do it. It may or may not be simpler than adding the vectors "geometrically". The question "Confused one" initially asked made it clear, I thought, that he was attempting to do this geometrically. I sure wish he would get back to us and tell us exactly what information he has to work with. I would have suggested that he find angle C by just subtracting the angles the the vectors make with some fixed line, but surely he wouldn't be having so much trouble if he were given the vectors like that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?