1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truck Acceleration problem

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    A truck traveling east has a velocity of 26 m/s. (a) Calculate its velocity after accelerating at 1 m/s2. (b) The truck then decelerates at -2 m/s2 for 3 s. Now what is its velocity? (c) The truck then takes 8s to change its velocity to 21 m/s. What was its final acceleration?

I tried using 1s (a), and I got 27 m/s. Using 27 m/s in (b), I got 21 m/s. But then for (c) the velocity is also 21, so it doesn't make any sense. Help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2
    The process you followed is exactly right. I would guess that there's some typo in the problem. But for part C, if the truck was at 21 m/s then took 8s to get to 21 m/s. What would it's acceleration be?
  4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
    Ahh, I see. Thank you! ^___^
  5. Sep 16, 2007 #4
    just a little discussion, In part (a), how about the car accelerating at 3 m/s2, then the answer will be 29m/s2 ?
  6. Sep 16, 2007 #5

Homework Helper

In part a) is it accelerating for 1s ? doesn't say in the question, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be...

Yeah, then it would come out to: v = v0 + at = 26 + 3(1) = 29m/s The units are m/s not m/s^2.
  7. Sep 16, 2007 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?