Calculating Velocity and Acceleration of a Truck in Motion

In summary, the truck's initial velocity is 26 m/s while traveling east. After accelerating at 1 m/s2, its velocity becomes 27 m/s. Then, after decelerating at -2 m/s2 for 3 seconds, its velocity becomes 21 m/s. Finally, it takes 8 seconds for the truck to change its velocity to 21 m/s, indicating a final acceleration of 0 m/s2. There may be a typo in the problem as the final velocity in part (c) is the same as in part (b). However, if the truck were to accelerate at 3 m/s2 in part (a), its final velocity would be 29 m/s.
Rylynn97
A truck traveling east has a velocity of 26 m/s. (a) Calculate its velocity after accelerating at 1 m/s2. (b) The truck then decelerates at -2 m/s2 for 3 s. Now what is its velocity? (c) The truck then takes 8s to change its velocity to 21 m/s. What was its final acceleration?

I tried using 1s (a), and I got 27 m/s. Using 27 m/s in (b), I got 21 m/s. But then for (c) the velocity is also 21, so it doesn't make any sense. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The process you followed is exactly right. I would guess that there's some typo in the problem. But for part C, if the truck was at 21 m/s then took 8s to get to 21 m/s. What would it's acceleration be?

Ahh, I see. Thank you! ^___^

just a little discussion, In part (a), how about the car accelerating at 3 m/s2, then the answer will be 29m/s2 ?

willingtolearn said:
just a little discussion, In part (a), how about the car accelerating at 3 m/s2, then the answer will be 29m/s2 ?

In part a) is it accelerating for 1s ? doesn't say in the question, but I'm guessing it's supposed to be...

Yeah, then it would come out to: v = v0 + at = 26 + 3(1) = 29m/s The units are m/s not m/s^2.

Thanks

1. What is the truck acceleration problem?

The truck acceleration problem refers to the phenomenon where a truck experiences difficulty in accelerating, or maintaining a steady speed, while carrying a heavy load.

2. What causes the truck acceleration problem?

The truck acceleration problem is caused by a combination of factors, including the weight of the load, the engine power and torque, and the gearing of the transmission.

3. How does the truck acceleration problem impact efficiency?

The truck acceleration problem can significantly impact the efficiency of a truck, as it requires more fuel to accelerate and maintain speed with a heavy load. This results in increased fuel consumption and higher operating costs.

4. Can the truck acceleration problem be solved?

Yes, the truck acceleration problem can be solved through various measures such as optimizing the engine and transmission settings, reducing the weight of the load, and using aerodynamic technologies.

5. How can the truck acceleration problem be prevented?

The truck acceleration problem can be prevented by regularly maintaining the truck's engine and transmission, properly loading the truck, and using fuel-efficient driving techniques such as gradual acceleration and maintaining a steady speed.