Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truck crane

1. May 12, 2010 #1
    http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-1647.html [Broken]

I bought this truck crane for my father. How could i calculate the force needed on the handle to lift a given load? I could measure it but im interested in how the math is done. For simplicity i'll assume the weight of the crane itself and friction are negligble. The load on the jacks two different diameter pistons or on various point along the length of the boom are easy to calculate separately. What i cant figure out is at where they connect. The piston extends in a straight line, but also rotates back as the boom rotates. Theres different angles that are non-perpendicular and changing so i dont know how to start.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

You already asked this question and generated quite a discussion of it.... Pointless to start a new thread. Locked.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook