1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truck Ramps

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In Fig. 8-36, a runaway truck with failed brakes is moving downgrade at 130 km/h just before the driver steers the truck up a frictionless emergency escape ramp with an inclination of θ = 15°. The truck's mass is 1.2 x 104 kg. What minimum length L must the ramp have if the truck is to stop (momentarily) along it?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c08/fig08_35.gif

2. Relevant equations

Mechanical Energy
    E,mec = K + U
    K = 1/2mV^2
    U = mgy

3. The attempt at a solution

Going through the problem I got K2 + U2 = K1 + U1 [2 being at the top of the inclined ramp and 1 being the bottom of the inclined ramp]. With substitution, I get:

1/2mv2^2 + mgy2 = 1/2mv1^2 + mgy1

Since velocity on the top of the ramp will equal zero and the length at the bottom of the ramp equals zero. the new formula will be:

gy2 = 1/2v1^2

subbing y2 with Lcos(theta):

Lcos(theta) = V1^2 / 2g

L = V1^2 / (2gcos(theta) )

I get an incorrect answer (247.97 m) The correct answer should be 260 m. Must be an misinterpretation somewhere. Any help would be nice :]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2
    You don't know how to solve a right triangle by trig. Try again on that part. Most of your set up is fine.

4. Apr 1, 2009 #3
    eff me. sin(theta) no cos(theta) thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook