1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True distance in Astronomy

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Parallaxes are measured relative to background stars. If these are not infinitely distant
    themselves, then the parallax to the foreground object will be underestimated
    and its distance will be overestimated.
    Calculate the distance that will be measured to a star at a true distance of 40 pc if
    the background stars are at a distance of 400 pc and this effect is not allowed for."

I looked through my book and even the lecture slides. It doesn't explain what true distance is...
    or am I missing something really key here?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: Not sure what you are asking here. The true distance is the true distance -- i.e. how far away the object actually is.

The point of the question is that the distance that you measure (using parallax) may not actually be the true (correct) distance. In other words, your measurement is wrong -- it has some error, because you assumed that the background objects were fixed. You didn't take into account that the background objects would also shift around due to parallax (just less perceptibly).

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3
    I see, that makes more sense. I was thinking silly stuff.
    But one thing I don't understand is how I can measure the parallax distance with just the information about the background stars being at a distance of 400pc.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What would be the parallax angle of the 40 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

What would be the parallax angle of the 400 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

So, what is the angle between the 40 pc object and the 400 pc object (which you're taking to be the 40 pc object's parallax angle), and how much smaller is this than the actual parallax angle for the 40 pc object?

6. Sep 27, 2012 #5
    Thanks I think I understand it now! Since the background stars are not infinitely distant "the foreground parallax is underestimated" so the parallax angle is actually smaller (in this case 1/40 - 1/400) which gives us the overestimated distance of 400/9 pc.

7. Sep 27, 2012 #6

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds about right to me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook