How Does Background Star Distance Affect Parallax Measurements?

• Thread starter ltjrpliskin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary: Thanks!In summary, the distance that will be measured with parallax (due to the background stars being at a distance of 400 pc) will be overestimated by 9 pc.
ltjrpliskin

Homework Statement

"Parallaxes are measured relative to background stars. If these are not infinitely distant
themselves, then the parallax to the foreground object will be underestimated
and its distance will be overestimated.
Calculate the distance that will be measured to a star at a true distance of 40 pc if
the background stars are at a distance of 400 pc and this effect is not allowed for."

I looked through my book and even the lecture slides. It doesn't explain what true distance is...
or am I missing something really key here?

Physics news on Phys.org
ltjrpliskin said:

Homework Statement

"Parallaxes are measured relative to background stars. If these are not infinitely distant
themselves, then the parallax to the foreground object will be underestimated
and its distance will be overestimated.
Calculate the distance that will be measured to a star at a true distance of 40 pc if
the background stars are at a distance of 400 pc and this effect is not allowed for."

I looked through my book and even the lecture slides. It doesn't explain what true distance is...
or am I missing something really key here?

:confused: Not sure what you are asking here. The true distance is the true distance -- i.e. how far away the object actually is.

The point of the question is that the distance that you measure (using parallax) may not actually be the true (correct) distance. In other words, your measurement is wrong -- it has some error, because you assumed that the background objects were fixed. You didn't take into account that the background objects would also shift around due to parallax (just less perceptibly).

cepheid said:
:confused: Not sure what you are asking here. The true distance is the true distance -- i.e. how far away the object actually is.

The point of the question is that the distance that you measure (using parallax) may not actually be the true (correct) distance. In other words, your measurement is wrong -- it has some error, because you assumed that the background objects were fixed. You didn't take into account that the background objects would also shift around due to parallax (just less perceptibly).

I see, that makes more sense. I was thinking silly stuff.
But one thing I don't understand is how I can measure the parallax distance with just the information about the background stars being at a distance of 400pc.

ltjrpliskin said:
I see, that makes more sense. I was thinking silly stuff.
But one thing I don't understand is how I can measure the parallax distance with just the information about the background stars being at a distance of 400pc.

What would be the parallax angle of the 40 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

What would be the parallax angle of the 400 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

So, what is the angle between the 40 pc object and the 400 pc object (which you're taking to be the 40 pc object's parallax angle), and how much smaller is this than the actual parallax angle for the 40 pc object?

cepheid said:
What would be the parallax angle of the 40 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

What would be the parallax angle of the 400 pc object if this shift were measured relative to to a truly fixed background object?

So, what is the angle between the 40 pc object and the 400 pc object (which you're taking to be the 40 pc object's parallax angle), and how much smaller is this than the actual parallax angle for the 40 pc object?

Thanks I think I understand it now! Since the background stars are not infinitely distant "the foreground parallax is underestimated" so the parallax angle is actually smaller (in this case 1/40 - 1/400) which gives us the overestimated distance of 400/9 pc.

Sounds about right to me

What is true distance in Astronomy?

True distance in Astronomy refers to the actual physical distance between two celestial objects, taking into account factors such as the curvature of space and the expansion of the universe. It is different from the observed distance, which is the distance between two objects as seen from Earth.

How is true distance measured in Astronomy?

True distance in Astronomy is measured using a variety of techniques, such as parallax, redshift, and standard candles. Parallax involves measuring the angle between an object and two different points on Earth's orbit, and using this to calculate the distance. Redshift is a measure of how much light from an object has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe. Standard candles are objects with known intrinsic brightness, such as certain types of stars, which can be used to determine their distance.

Why is understanding true distance important in Astronomy?

Understanding true distance is important in Astronomy because it allows us to accurately study the properties and behavior of celestial objects. By knowing their true distance, we can also determine their size, mass, and other important characteristics. Additionally, understanding true distance helps us to better understand the structure and evolution of the universe.

Can true distance change over time in Astronomy?

Yes, true distance can change over time in Astronomy due to the expansion of the universe. This means that the distance between two objects will increase as the universe expands, making it important for scientists to continually update and refine their measurements of true distance.

How does the concept of true distance in Astronomy relate to the concept of time?

The concept of true distance in Astronomy is closely related to the concept of time because it takes time for light to travel from one object to another. This means that when we observe objects in space, we are seeing them as they were in the past, depending on their true distance from Earth. For example, if an object is 1 million light years away, we are seeing it as it was 1 million years ago.