1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True / False

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    Hi

Answer as T or F:

1) Every linear system consisting of 3 equations in 4 unknowns has infintely many solutions.
    2) If A and B are 3 x 3 matrices , then det(AB - A (B^T) ) = 0
    3) If A and B are n x n matrices, nonsingular matrices and AB=BA, then A(B^-1) = (B^-1)A
    4) If A is a singular n x n matrix, then Aadj(A)=0

For (1):
    I think its true
    since # of columns > # of rows
    so we will have recall a parameter
    and this means we will a infinitely many solutions

For (2):
    I do not know how to do it =(

For (3):
    I got the answer, its true
    but how ?

For (4):
    I completely stopped here :/

Any help please?

this is not for my homework
    I swear
    am solving these for fun

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

A hint for the second one: factor out A and use the rule det(XY)=det(X)det(Y). Then, can you conclude something about det(B - B^T)? What are the diagonal elements of that matrix? What is the general element of that matrix? Use the rule of Sarrus to calculate the determinant.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

A hint for the third one: multiply the left side of the equation AB = BA by B^-1.

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

A hint for the fourth one: take an element cij from the matrix C = Aadj(A) and write down what it equals. Can you conclude something from that?

6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but for (1), I believe the answer is False. While you are correct most of the time, you have to consider the situation when the system might have 0 solutions. In general - if r is the rank of the matrix - r < n and r < m implies the system will have 0 or an infinite amount of solutions. Thus, not every system described will have an infinite amount of solutions.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook