True north vs. magnetic north

• Thread starter mirna_saliba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, true north is the fixed geographic north pole while magnetic north is the direction in which a compass needle points towards due to the Earth's magnetic field. Knowing the direction of true north is important for navigation as it serves as a reference point for directions. The Earth's magnetic field can cause the location of magnetic north to shift and can even reverse completely every few hundred thousand years. In some locations, true north and magnetic north can align, but in most places, there is a difference due to the Earth's magnetic field.
mirna_saliba
Hi,
i am executing an engineering project and i need to know the declination angle between true north and magnetic north in Lebanon. Can anyone tell me about a reference or an internet site which can help? Thank you.
Mirna.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Is your seach engine broke?

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/jsp/struts/calcDeclination" which seems to be good for any point on the globe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Mirna,

Thank you for your question. The declination angle between true north and magnetic north in Lebanon can vary depending on your specific location within the country. Generally, the declination angle can range from 6 to 10 degrees east of true north.

To find the exact declination angle for your project, I would recommend using the National Geophysical Data Center's (NGDC) Magnetic Field Calculator (https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/calculators/magcalc.shtml). This tool allows you to input your location coordinates and will provide you with the declination angle.

Additionally, the website for the Lebanese National Council for Scientific Research (https://www.cnrs.edu.lb/) may have more specific information or resources for your project.

I hope this helps and good luck with your engineering project!

1. What is the difference between true north and magnetic north?

True north is the geographic north pole, which is the point at the top of the Earth's axis. It is a fixed point and does not change. Magnetic north, on the other hand, is the direction that a compass needle points towards, due to the Earth's magnetic field. The location of magnetic north can change over time.

2. Why is true north important for navigation?

True north is important for navigation because it is a fixed point that can be used as a reference for directions. By knowing the direction of true north, you can determine your position and navigate accurately using a map and compass.

3. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect magnetic north?

The Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's core. This field is not uniform and can change over time. As a result, the location of magnetic north can shift and vary in different parts of the world.

4. How often does magnetic north change?

The location of magnetic north can change at a rate of a few kilometers per year. However, the Earth's magnetic field has been known to reverse completely, with magnetic north becoming magnetic south and vice versa. This reversal can happen every few hundred thousand years.

5. Can true north and magnetic north ever align?

Yes, true north and magnetic north can align in certain locations, such as the geographic north pole. This means that a compass needle would point directly towards true north. However, in most places, there is a difference between true north and magnetic north due to the Earth's magnetic field.