True output voltage on a Van De Graaff generator?

In summary, Van De Graaff generators are not actually capable of outputting 100,000 volts. Manufacturers often advertise this as an idealistic, classroom quote, but in reality it is only a measureable voltage with the proper equipment.
Albertgauss
Gold Member
Greetings,

How do you know what the true output voltage on a Van De Graaff generator is? Can it be measured? If a manufacturer advertises it as having an output voltage of 100,000 Volts, is this an idealistic, classroom quote or the true quote they have actually measured? If the output voltage advertised by the manufacturer is not the true, measurable voltage, what causes the discrepancy?

Physics news on Phys.org
You measure it. If I remember correctly the voltage that can be maintained depends on several things like the curvature of the HV terminal, the charge rate, the leakage current, the surrounding air humidity. One way to measure it is with an AC electrostatic voltmeter basically a rotating metallic vane that is partially shielded by a grounded plate. Then the vane is exposed to the electric field an induced charge in produced in the vane proportional to the terminals potential. This produces an AC signal that can be measure with conventional electronics. However it needs to be calibrated. In a research Van de Graaff a particle beam is produced whose energy is measure by a magnetic spectrometer type of system deflecting the beam by a certain amount that can be calculated based on the field strength and the geometry of the system.

@anorlunda, ok, looks good. Just did a basic web search but it is going to take me a few days to go through all that.

Does anyone have any experience with one meter or the other for measuring 100,000 volts with no contact?

I will also need a day to read the paper you suggested. Let me spend some time on that so I can give it a thorough review.

@gleem I am familiar with what you mentioned in this post, but your response is too vague. Do you have any clear pictures or diagrams that are more specific? That would help a lot.

Albertgauss said:
@gleem I am familiar with what you mentioned in this post, but your response is too vague. Do you have any clear pictures or diagrams that are more specific? That would help a lot.

I'm sorry I do not have any more information. I think it is the AC version of the type of electrostatic voltmeter that @anorlunda mentioned.

First: Van De Graaff generators are DC, not AC.

At school, we were shown the method based on two slivers of gold foil that were connected at the top and with no voltage applied they would hang down (parallel, like). If a voltage was applied at their junction, the 'like charges repel' effect would come into play. The higher the voltage - the greater the repulsion, increasing the angle between the gold foil slivers.

They weren't calibrated but were effective at showing the Van De Graaff generator was working - without draining any significant charge.

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto
SF cookie said:
First: Van De Graaff generators are DC, not AC.

At school, we were shown the method based on two slivers of gold foil that were connected at the top and with no voltage applied they would hang down (parallel, like). If a voltage was applied at their junction, the 'like charges repel' effect would come into play. The higher the voltage - the greater the repulsion, increasing the angle between the gold foil slivers.

They weren't calibrated but were effective at showing the Van De Graaff generator was working - without draining any significant charge.

You missed the point. The electrostatic voltmeter generates an AC signal see post #2.

1. What is a Van De Graaff generator?

A Van De Graaff generator is a scientific instrument that is used to generate static electricity. It consists of a charged metal sphere placed on top of a hollow insulating column, and a rubber belt that runs between two rollers. As the belt moves, it creates friction and transfers charge from the rollers to the sphere, creating a high voltage potential difference between the sphere and the ground.

2. What is the true output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator?

The true output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator can vary depending on factors such as the size of the sphere, the speed of the belt, and the humidity of the surroundings. However, most Van De Graaff generators can produce voltages between 100,000 to 5,000,000 volts.

3. How is the output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator measured?

The output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator is typically measured using a voltage meter or a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected to the metal sphere and the ground, and the reading on the voltmeter represents the potential difference between the two points, which is the output voltage of the generator.

4. Can the output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator be controlled?

Yes, the output voltage of a Van De Graaff generator can be controlled by adjusting the speed of the belt and the humidity of the surroundings. The higher the speed of the belt and the lower the humidity, the higher the output voltage will be.

5. What is the practical use of a Van De Graaff generator?

A Van De Graaff generator is used in various scientific experiments and demonstrations, such as creating lightning or powering particle accelerators. It is also used in industries for electrostatic coating and in medical equipment for radiation therapy. Additionally, it is used in educational settings to teach students about electricity and electromagnetism.