1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True speed and direction.

1. Jun 11, 2012 #1
    I hope my question is clear. I understand it might be kind of complex.

( x and y coordinates are in miles)
    Point A departure (0,0)
    Point B (?, 300)
    Point C destination (0,500)

An airplane will head due north at 300mi/h to a destination 500 miles away. From point A to point B, the plane will experience a 40 mi/h crosswind flowing in the direction N 30° E. Then from point B to point C, the plane will experience a 40 mi/h crosswind flowing in the direction N 30° W .How long will it take the plane to to go from point A to point C and what direction must it head in ? (find the true speed and direction of the airplane)

( in an attempt to clarify the question, basically) The airplane flies to point B under the influence of a wind in the direction N30E. The wind then changes to N30W, and the airplane flies under its new influence in flying from point B to point C (0, 500).

any advice is greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2
    this is a graph of what im reffering to. I changed the names points, sorry. The question mark is suppose to be point (?,500). I thought about trying to solve the green triangles to give me the points and the angles. sc0018d016.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook