1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True Statements on Vapor Pressure

1. Oct 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which of the following are true statements ? There may be more than one answer

a) Volatility of a liquid increases with increasing temperature

b) The equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid results from evaporation exceeding condensation

c) The equilibrium vapor pressure of a liquid remains constant as temperature changes

d) The vapor pressure of a liquid at its normal boiling point is strongly affected by the type of molecules the liquid consists of

2. Relevant equations
    --------------

3. The attempt at a solution

a. True. Increasing temperature increases the amount of volatile liquid which vaporizes.

b. False. An equilibrium is defined as the case where the "forward rate" is equal to the "reverse rate".

c. False. Vapor pressure is a function of T. Increases in T result in increases in vapor pressure.

d. True. The vapor pressure at the boiling point is affected by the intermolecular attraction between the molecules and that depends on the molecules themselves.

What did i do wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2
    what r u wanting?
    i think Jay J is correct.

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3
    ans to jay

i think the prblen with Jay J is in last i.e option (d).the vapour pressure of a liquid become equal to the external vapour pressure that is why the molecule become free b/c when external pressure is great so it resist the molecule to go out but when both are equalized so molecule come out freom liquid.
    sp vapour pressure of a liquid at its normal boiling boiling point is indepenent of the type molecule but normal boiling point is depend upon type of molecule.
    if i do some error so plz plz plz plz... inform me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook