jacket had a dull oval mark on it that never did
polish out. i have never found an explanation for
what happened and apart from the people dirrectly
involved not talked about it.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The flash came from behind you? What happened to the light; it was gone?

wolram

Gold Member
i think you can understand that we were both in shock
i dont know how long it was between the flash and
the bike comming to a stop, we were in total darkness
i couldnt even see my girl freind standing next to me.
maybe it was 10 mins after the flash that we actualy
spoke to each other, but the light must have gone
very soon after the flash, we kept all this quiet
as her mom and dad were against motorbikes and an
incident like this could have stoped me seeing my
girl.

I guess that'll teach ya.
Anyway, I've never heard a story like this.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by wolram
i think you can understand that we were both in shock
i dont know how long it was between the flash and
the bike comming to a stop, we were in total darkness
i couldnt even see my girl freind standing next to me.
maybe it was 10 mins after the flash that we actualy
spoke to each other, but the light must have gone
very soon after the flash, we kept all this quiet
as her mom and dad were against motorbikes and an
incident like this could have stoped me seeing my
girl.
Do you remember the color of the flash? Was there any noise or any sense of static charge? Also, I assume that the light itself appeared to be the same brightness and color as a vehicle's headlights; this by your stated initial assumptions?

Finally, beyond the effects on your motorcycle and your girlfriends jacket, is there anything else unusual about this event...

EDIT: in your comment about 10 minutes of silence, did you feel stunned or otherwise affected physically or mentally?

Last edited:

wolram

Gold Member
the ligh seemed like an ordinary head light but did not
show a beam when going round bends, when it was close
to us my girl freind," shouted go" i think we both got
spooked at the same time, we did talk about it quite
often but we could never agree on the events after she
shouted go, its hard to put into words the sensation
fear, loud engine noise ,light ,then total quite, dark, only
the sense of motion, when the bike came to a standstill
it was like total sensory deprevation, if it wasnt for
the feel of the bike it would have been, we both felt
total exhausted, i think it was when ann slumped
against me that i started to think again and asked
her if she was ok.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you have any idea when had you last replaced or checked the spark plugs? How old was the battery? What was the color of Ann's jacket; and what was the color of the mark on her jacket?

Do you have any guesses at an explanation for this event?

wolram

Gold Member
the bike was a complete rebuild 3 month prior to the
incident, every penny i had went into it and it was
sweet, it always started first or second kick, the
battery was new at the time of rebuild, i think it
had about 1000 mls on the clock at the time of the
incident, the engine was unmodified but put together
with love and care, with no signs of oil leaks," an
acheivement on a british bike of that era", i had
a weekly service for the bike, tyres ,chain,cables,
oil,tappets, plugs, batt level,wheel brgs,etc.
apart from ann that bike had every spare second
of my time, after replacing the batt, plugs, ht
leads she ran for over 6 yrs without a hiccup, her
end came when she went thrugh a hedge and hit a
barn, along with my relationship with ann. but the
incident happened we had everything to loose and
nothing to gain.

wolram

Gold Member
ANNs jacket was black leather, it wasnt so much as a
stain, it was just a dull area that would not pollish
out.
i have had 20yrs to think about this event and can
think of nothing to explain it, ann and myself had
an unbreakable bond after the event, untill we
were forced to part.

Last edited:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm very sorry for your loss... Each day of life is a blessing...

This is a very interesting story; I now have a Wolram file. Not to end the thread, but thanks so much for posting!

I assume that you are following the "Why Skeptics fear UFO's" thread?

wolram

Gold Member
thanks for listening IVAN,
i look at the S and D threads to see if anything matches
my "event", but no matches so far, i suppose that is
to be expected as it sounds far fetched when i read
it, but i have my memory of the event and it never
fades.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
i look at the S and D threads to see if anything matches
my "event", but no matches so far, i suppose that is
to be expected as it sounds far fetched when i read
it, but i have my memory of the event and it never
fades.
Why don't you stay subscribed to this thread. I have read similar stories and I will post same when I spot another. I have read many, many, many stories that seem to involve incredibly energetic EM effects. Your story sounds similar to some of these.

I don't suppose you kept the spark plugs or any other hardware related to the event?

wolram

Gold Member
its been a long time ivan but ,i never throw anything
away i will search the garage as im sure the s plugs
are still there.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
its been a long time ivan but ,i never throw anything
away i will search the garage as im sure the s plugs
are still there.
Oh that would be great. Please let me know if you ever spot them or any other hardware from that night. There still might be traces of something useful; and I am sure that in addition to me, a lot of other researchers would like to see those plugs.

BTW, as a wild guess, I think you might have run into something much like the objects described in the Iran event and at Bentwaters; as discussed in the "Why skeptics fear UFOs" thread. The implication of related effects on the motorcycle could mean that a highly energetic EM event took place. I also speculate [wildly] that if true, this EM event could relate to your sense of fatigue afterwards.

Lastly, unless you object, I will assume that you can account for all of your time that evening...that no missing time is involved.

Last edited:

wolram

Gold Member
Oh that would be great. Please let me know if you ever spot them or any other hardware from that night. There still might be traces of something useful; and I am sure that in addition to me, a lot of other researchers would like to see those plugs.

BTW, as a wild guess, I think you might have run into something much like the objects described in the Iran event and at Bentwaters; as discussed in the "Why skeptics fear UFOs" thread. The implication of related effects on the motorcycle could mean that a highly energetic EM event took place. I also speculate [wildly] that if true, this EM event could relate to your sense of fatigue afterwards.

Lastly, unless you object, I will assume that you can account for all of your time that evening...that no missing time is involved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
ivan i can not see a connection with the Iran event, as for
a highly energetic EM event well yes i can see a connection
but i would be very skeptical of a UFO involvment.
also i dont see the connection with our fatigue.
missing time? im not sure what you are asking.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ivan i can not see a connection with the Iran event, as for
a highly energetic EM event well yes i can see a connection
but i would be very skeptical of a UFO involvment.
Well, my comments are made in light of hundreds of other reports. If the light observed was somehow responsible for your ignition system's damage, then we have a very puzzling situation. There is no known natural phenomenon that could do this - unless you were hit by lightning. But this explanation does not seem to agree with the light following you first. You also specified that the light was distincly different than a headlight in that it was not focused. So, from your lead, it sounds like you have ruled out familiar explanations for the light. Next, if you were hit by lightning, you would surely have noticed greater effects. I have never heard of someone being hit by lighting and then hitching a ride home. If we assume that a link exists between the light and the motorcycle damage, then you are right into UFO territory. However, you and I may not mean the same thing when we say UFO. I mean unidentified objects in nature, probably somethink akin to lightning or ball lighting [whatever that is], but not ET.

also i dont see the connection with our fatigue.
missing time? im not sure what you are asking.
Fatigue is often associated with UFO encounters. Fairly often, in the most dramatic cases, witnessess will even report falling asleep or losing consciousness during the episode. If you know nothing about missing time I almost hate to even mention it. This subject goes past right UFOs and into Alice's Wonderland. In short, people who encounter UFOs sometimes cannot account for their time. There is some period, from minutes to hours, that seems to escape their memory.

You also indicated that you felt a unique bonding between you and Ann after this. Do you have any idea why? Why do you associate this feeling with this episode?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Oh yes:
Happy Birthday Wolram!

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Case 17 from the Condon Report is a little like yours

Please see the following link:
http://912a-87.umd.edu/condon/text/case17.htm [Broken]

Abstract:

A youth reported that a large, glowing object approached his car and accompanied it more than twenty miles. He described apparent electromagnetic effects on his automobile. Investigation revealed neither a natural explanation to account for the sighting, nor sufficient evidence to sustain an unconventional hypothesis.

Other reported sightings in the area were investigated without conclusive results.

Background:

The Primary Sighting
On a night in the spring of 1967 an 18 year-old high school boy (Witness I) was returning from a first-aid class in town to his parents' home, a general store. He reported that shortly after 11:00 p.m., when he was three miles west of the town, he noticed an object high in the sky directly ahead of him. He compared its apparent size and brightness to an ordinary incandescent light bulb seen at about twenty feet, or a slow-moving ball of fire. As he continued, the object descended at an angle toward his left, closed on his automobile, and accompanied it at a distance and elevation he estimated at one hundred feet each. He estimated the dimensions of the object as approximately 30 by 100 feet. It was shaped like an inverted bowl, flat on the bottom and arched on top. No surface features were visible, only an overall glow that was blue at the top and blended gradually through cream color and orange to bright red at the bottom. At times he noticed a

[[451]]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

white vapor associated with the object. The only other feature he noted was a periodic on-off manifestation of the glow.

The witness also reported a sensation of intense heat coming from the object, such that he began perspiring profusely even with the car windows down. At this same time, the automobile engine began to sputter and miss, the radio and headlights went out, the ammeter indicated "discharge," and shortly afterward the temperature light indicated "hot."

To see the road, he used a battery-powered spotlight that was independent of the car battery. It continued to function normally. He drove as rapidly as possible (50-60 mph) under the adverse conditions, and was paced the entire twenty-odd miles to his home. As he approached the family store, the object moved off ahead of him for the first time and stopped above the store as if to wait for him. As he turned in, the object blacked out and vanished into the darkness.

The witness reported that after the incident his car never recovered. Its condition worsened continually until it was beyond repair.

Investigation:

Wadsworth investigated this and other reports in the area, Spring 1967. Although no unequivocal corroborating evidence was uncovered, testimony from a game warden who is regarded as highly reliable by area residents, provided possible corroboration. He reported having seen a round, reddish object in the sky a little later on the same evening. He was travelling the same stretch of the road that was involved in the sighting already described. The object he saw was so distant that its identity with the other is uncertain.

Witness' automobile was monitored for high-energy radiation. Smear samples were analyzed for alpha, beta, and gamma radiation. Alpha and beta were at normal background levels, and gamma was a trace above; this result may relate to the presence of uranium deposits in the vicinity. The magnetization pattern of the automobile body was checked against a control auto and found to be normal.

[[452]]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The auto engine was found to be badly out of tune and in generally poor running condition. Unfortunately, it was impossible to determine whether any specific damages resulted from the effects of ordinary wear and tear. Nevertheless, the witness stated that his car was in good running condition before the incident.

The route on which the sighting occurred was inspected under both day and night conditions. No physical evidence was found that could be related to the sighting; however, terrain and highway features were consistent with the witness' account.

Additional Sightings.
After the initial report, additional sightings were reported in the area. Many of these were of marginal quality and insufficiently detailed to warrant further investigation. In a few cases, followup attempts were made. Most of the witnesses were Indians, who were difficult to locate because they live in remote places, and were extremely difficult to interview once found because they speak little English and are not familiar with such a procedure. It was thus almost impossible to obtain more than the barest details.

The most useful materials obtained from these witnesses were their sketches of the objects they reported having seen. These sketches show a considerable range of variation, suggesting several types of objects. It should be noted that the Navajo appear to be unsophisticated as to UFOs. That is, they are less likely than a member of the general population to know what an UFO is reported to look like. Also, these reports cannot be assessed in terms of the same psychosocial dynamics that are appropriate to most UFO reports.

Reported loss of (sic) UFO-caused power failures were checked with an official of the local Power Association. He stated that nothing out of the ordinary had been reported to him. In one case, an Indian witness reported loss of power at his cabin when an UFO landed nearby.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
i dont know what to say IVAN, talking to an "outsider", after
all this time who has knowledge of this type of event is
un nerving, from the very start we kept it quiet for the
reasons stated befor, and i suppose most people would think
we were loonies, i have always thought a freak of nature
caused the event, but reading your last post has me trying
to remember things in more detail without embelishing it
with half truths, i can only admit that things seemed
different after the event but i dont know why, after the
event my life was ann, motorbike, nothing else mattered,
this selfish way only ended as described ealier.
i have a mamouth task in clearing years of junk to find
plugs but i look forward to showing them to an expert.

you have reminded me im getting OLDER thanks IVAN:smile:

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I've just been thinking over your experience Wolram, for days, and I have no answers, but I do have another annoying question. You say in your account that the night was starless. Can you remember the kind of clouds. Were they low? Flat? Were you near anything that could have excited an electromagnetic field?

I'm just turning around in my mind that your motorcycle might have had a small spark, say from a spark plug lead, and unlike a car, it wouldn't have been surrounded by metal (faraday cage). So it could have interacted with an existing EM field in the neighborhood with, say, a strong horizontal gradient. And there I'm stuck.

Oh, and was the route hilly or flat?

wolram

Gold Member
the weather that day, night was overcast, i think it had
snowed to the north,"birmingham way", thats aprox 20MLs
from my local, and we had a dusting of snow the evening
after the event, the area is flat, just to the north is
GAYDON where V bombers used to fly from, victor, vulcan
and valiant, but at the time this was disused, not far
away is a place where munitions are stored cad kineton.
i often wondered if the event was caused by something
from there, but i havent heard of anything similar, oh
it is rumoured that there are miles of undeground tunnels
connected with the base, but i doubt if they would use
strong emf near munitions, apart from that the area is
farm land, the nearest hill is EDGE HILL 10MLs away
its in the histoy books, round heads and cavaliers,
the area i live has an outwardly rich history but nothing
much happens out of the norm, i cant think of anything
on my rout that could produce high emf.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Condon Report: Case 39; South Pacific, fall 1967

Another somewhat similar story. Please see the following link for the full report:
http://912a-87.umd.edu/condon/text/case39.htm [Broken]

In Fall of 1967, a business executive was driving alone in a 1964 Chrysler convertible in a remote region of the South Pacific area, when at 3:30 or 4:00 a.m. his car stopped, the lights went out, and the radio went dead. He reported feeling strong pressure exerted from above, pressing down on his head and shoulders. He then saw, through a break in the fog in which he had been driving, an unidentified object that moved over his car and hovered over the highway ahead. It now lit up the roadway and area about him. The object was about 30 ft. in diameter, saucer-shaped, red-orange in color, and hazy in outline. Its altitude was estimated at 160 ft. The object had rotating lights, and wobbled as it moved and hovered. The witness viewed the object for about 90 sec. before it took off into the fog ahead. His headlights and radio then came back on, and he was able to re-start the car. It ran unevenly for a few seconds, sounding as if one or two cylinders were not firing. It then operated normally.

The witness was extremely frightened by the experience. He drove immediate1y to the nearest town, even though it was a short distance

[[582]]

off his route home. He said he had an urgent desire to be where there were other people. He met a milkman, and told him of the experience. No cafe was open, and the milkman directed him to another town, on the witness' original route, where he could get a cup of coffee. He stopped at the cafe and related his experience to a waitress there, who knew him.

He afterward decided, for business reasons, it should not become known that he had reported seeing an UFO, and he told his story to NICAP and project investigators only after firm assurances that he would not be identified.

Investigation by NICAP:

NICAP investigators checked the witness' car for evidence of unusual residual effects. They found the clock had stopped at 3:46 a.m., and was still stopped (the witness said the clock had been running O.K.). They found the paint loose and easy to rub off a spot on the hood, and a strange pitting in both paint and glass. A radiation check on the car showed beta-gamma readings of .01 to .02 mr/hr, which seemed slightly higher to them than readings similarly taken on another car owned by the witness. They felt also that stereotapes which were in the witness' car at the time of stoppage by the UFO had lost fidelity, particularly in the low notes. They also noted areas of unusual optical distortion in the back window as if it had been damaged by its exposure to UFO effects....

Investigation by Colorado Project:

No radioactivity above normal background was found on or in the car.

The clock was stopped at 3:46. The witness had not noticed the stopped clock until the NICAP representatives mentioned the significant agreement with the time of his UFO sighting. He was not certain the clock had been running the day before the UFO experience, but though it probably was. He was sure it "used to run." Since the automobile clock is spring driven, and only wound by electric current (it continues to run if the line to the battery is disconnected), electromagnetic effects which might conceivably stop cars and car radios would perhaps not be expected to stop such a clock.

[[584]]

The AM radio operated normally. The FM was not operative five days later, hut hummed loudly across the entire tuning range. The witness said he normally had good reception from several FM stations in this area. According to his story, he had tired of listening to recorded tapes and had switched on his radio (probably FM) shortly before the UFO sighting....

Conclusion:

Because of the vagueness of the witness' description of the "object," the wide inconsistencies in his estimates of its size and distance, the fact that no one else observed the alleged event, and the fact that the car body did not show evidence of exposure to strong magnetic fields, more detailed investigation of this event as a source of evidence related to the electromagnetic effect on automobiles did not seem warranted.
Also mentioned:
The witness claimed that his experience had made him both religious and a UFO believer. He was afraid to return to the site of his experience, and said he would avoid this area in the future. In attempting to re-enact his experience at the site, he experienced moments of apparent illness or dizziness, for which he apologized, and waited briefly to regain his composure. Three NICAP people and the Colorado investigator were with him when he returned to the site. When they suggested that they leave in the opposite direction for their return to the city, while he would return in his Chrysler to his home, he asked them to accompany him to the highway intersection 2.6 mi. away, as he did not want to be in the area alone

Last edited by a moderator:

wolram

Gold Member
IVAN, thanks for your continuing support.
i have noted a few similarities to my event in your posts
one where a car had paintwork damage (jacket).
several reported electrical problems, but nothing with
an exact match to mine, i think i can rule out known
atmospheric phenomena with the exception even though
a remote possibility Ball -Ling, i wish PF was around
at the time.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Thanks for posting your story.

Again I want to stress that I don't mean to push the ET agenda on this. It is possible that something floats around that creates all sorts of weird impressions on the observer. The similarities between your story and many others makes me think that whatever these floating "ball of fire" may be, you may have run into one.

Last edited: