Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truncation of gaussian beam

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1
    Hi All,

I am just wondering whether there is any kind soul to help me out with the following problem:

If a gaussian beam is truncated by the circular aperture situated at the beam waist just before the entrance of a microscope objective lens, what should be the intensity distribution of the beam at the focal plane of the microscope objective. Would truncation of the beam affect any other parameter such as beam waist size, depth of focus?

Thanks in Advance,

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2
    I believe that the intensity pattern at the focal plane would be the Fourier transform of a Circ function, namely J_1 a Bessel function of the first kind.

Is the beam collimated before it hits the aperture?
  4. Oct 11, 2004 #3

I thought about it a little more and the intensity pattern would be the convolution of a gaussian and a Bessel function of the first kind (or the Fourier transform of the intensity pattern at the aperture).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?