1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truss analysis advice wanted.

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    Hi I’m doing a project where we have to design a truss. I’ve made a design and I’ve figured out the reaction forces. There is a support in the middle and one on the left side, both of them are only vertical reactions and finally there is a load of 250N on the right being applied.

I don’t expect anyone to do this for me, but I’m just wondering if there is not enough information, or there’s too many members passing through one node to solve using the three equations of equilibrium.

I’ve attached the design and sorry for the messy writing. Could someone please suggest which joint to start at and what process I have to use there?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like an unorthodox way to support a truss. The members to the left of TC and to the right of KV don't do anything. The vertical and short diagonals also carry no force....you'd need them perhaps to brace compression members against buckling.. Otherwise, the Truss is statically determinate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook