1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truss Analysis

1. Feb 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a simple truss to analyze using excel. I have done this and know how to do it on pen and paper using one equation to eliminate variables in another until down the line an answer pops out and I go back in and solve for all the other variables.

However, this time we have to use excel and it involves creating a matrix of the forces and computing its inverse. But the matrix I have as of now is not singular as the 3 columns for the support forces are all at zero. When I input the forces from the external analysis I get a bunch of #####. My instructor gave us the spreadsheet to use and this is the only section which we has any forumla put in so I do not want to mess with it. The formula he put in is a summation of the components in x and y for each member at each joint. They should add up to zero, and they do. THe problem is when I get to the external forces as I am unclear how to include them in this table.

I tried to insert a table showing the numbers but it just comes up as the code I put it in. So I attached it as a text file. Hopefully it works.

Hmm, I am sure I have left a lot of unanswered questions about what exactly I am trying to do. Please let me know how I can help to make this more understandable.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2010 #2
    Either you must include the reaction components in the set of applied loads by calculating them by hand and inserting them in matrix B, or you could include 3 additional members representing the reaction components at A and at E. The working you give doesn't seem to 'know' where the reaction forces are, as an input, although it is looking for an output.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook