Finding Internal Forces With Joints & Sections

The internal force for each of the vertical members can be found using a combination of the method of joints and the method of sections. In summary, the method of joints and method of sections can be used together to solve a problem involving internal forces in a truss structure.
jhox08
I have the truss shown, I'm supposed to find the internal force for each of the vertical members...I understand method of joints and method of sections, but can you use both method of joints and sections in the same problem...for example I found Ly=52.5 and Ry=32.5 using moments and summing in the Y direction, next I used method of joints at H to find Fhg=54.17 C and Fhj=43.34 T, then I used method of joints again at J to find Fjg = 0, but then I made a cut just to the left of G and J exposing Feg, Fgk and Fjk, I found Feg=54.17 C and Fkg=0 by method of sections but used method of joints at K to find Fek=25 T and Fwk=43.34 T, so my question is can I solve this problem using both methods at the same time?...thanks

Attachments

• ce3.jpg
    ce3.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I think you can use both methods in the same problem.

They are really the same thing. The method of joints IS the method of sections applied to a single joint. The section cut does not have to be a straight line.

1. What is the purpose of finding internal forces with joints and sections?

The purpose of finding internal forces with joints and sections is to analyze the structural integrity and stability of a given object. By determining the internal forces at different points along the object, engineers and scientists can make informed decisions about the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures.

2. How do you find internal forces at a joint?

To find internal forces at a joint, you must first draw a free-body diagram of the joint and apply the equations of equilibrium. This will allow you to calculate the external and internal forces acting on the joint. You can then use these values to determine the internal forces at that particular joint.

3. What is the difference between internal forces and external forces?

Internal forces are forces that act within a structure, while external forces are forces that act on a structure from the outside. Internal forces are typically caused by external forces, such as gravity or wind, and can be either compressive or tensile. Understanding the balance of these forces is crucial in ensuring the stability and safety of a structure.

4. What is the importance of sections in finding internal forces?

Sections are important in finding internal forces because they allow for a more detailed analysis of a structure. By dividing a structure into smaller sections, engineers and scientists can more accurately determine the internal forces at different points and identify any potential weak spots or areas of concern.

5. Can finding internal forces with joints and sections help predict structural failure?

Yes, finding internal forces with joints and sections can help predict structural failure. By analyzing the internal forces and stresses within a structure, engineers and scientists can identify any potential areas of weakness or instability. This information can then be used to make necessary design changes or reinforce the structure to prevent failure.