Checking My Work: Solving for Force in Member GH

In summary, the person solved for all the forces in the members using a force truss member calculator. While most forces matched up, there was a discrepancy with the force in member GH. The person received 11.3 in tension, while the calculator showed 6 in tension. They attached a diagram and asked for someone to solve for member GH. Another person commented that the initial answer looked correct and asked for the force in member AG, advising not to rely on the calculator if it seemed unreliable. The first person then confirmed that they got 6.91 in tension for member AG.
Comfy
1. Homework Statement
I solved for all the forces in the members, but I was using a force truss member calculator to check my work. All the forces match up with the calculated but one, that is the force in member GH. I get 11.3 in tension the calculator gets 6 in tension. So am I right or the calculator? I attached the diagram. The load is 12.5 and is applied at joint C. There is a roller at joint I and a hinge at joint F. Can someone solve for member GH and tell me what they get.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 20160510_133114.jpeg
    20160510_133114.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 490
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks about right. What force did you get in AG? If the calculator is messed, I wouldn't compare your answers to it for any member.

PhanthomJay said:
Your answer looks about right. What force did you get in AG? If the calculator is messed, I wouldn't compare your answers to it for any member.
6.91 in tension

OK, looks good.

1. What is the purpose of solving for force in member GH?

The purpose of solving for force in member GH is to determine the amount of force that is being exerted on that specific member in a structure. This can help engineers and architects ensure that the structure is stable and can withstand the expected load.

2. What are the steps for solving for force in member GH?

The steps for solving for force in member GH involve first identifying all the external and internal forces acting on the member, then applying the equations of equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces. This typically involves creating a free body diagram and using vector analysis to determine the magnitude and direction of the forces.

3. What are the common types of forces encountered when solving for force in member GH?

The common types of forces encountered when solving for force in member GH include compression, tension, shear, and bending. These forces can be caused by external loads, such as weight or wind, or internal forces, such as prestress or thermal expansion.

4. What are some tips for checking my work when solving for force in member GH?

Some tips for checking your work when solving for force in member GH include making sure your free body diagram is accurate, double-checking your calculations, and comparing your results to expected values or previous calculations. It can also be helpful to have a peer review your work for any mistakes or oversights.

5. How can solving for force in member GH impact the design and construction of a structure?

Solving for force in member GH can greatly impact the design and construction of a structure by ensuring that the structure is safe and stable. This information can also help engineers and architects make adjustments to the design, such as using different materials or reinforcing certain areas, to ensure that the structure can withstand the expected loads and forces.