Truss and Suspension bridge.

In summary: It's not something I'm familiar with.In summary, you will need to apply the equations of equilibrium to your system, and then calculate the forces in each truss element. The calculations may seem incorrect at first, but they are actually correct to the second decimal place. You will also need to calculate the support reactions, and then determine the force in every truss element.
Alpha[X]²
How will I calculate the forces involved in a truss and suspension bridge, my teacher did not explain this fully and I'm confused as hell.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alpha[X]²;1286900 said:
How will I calculate the forces involved in a truss and suspension bridge, my teacher did not explain this fully and I'm confused as hell.

Depends on the geometry and the loads applied to your bridge. If would be great if you posted a pic.

Basically, all you have to do is apply the equations of equilibrium to your system. I can't be any more specific with the given data.

Erm, let's just say a 100 metre bridge with trusses with an angle of 60 degress. The bridge weights 20 000 N.

Well, a picture and your attempt will be a good start.

I don't have anything because I don't know how to calculate the forces.

Do you know how to calculate the support reactions? Your bridge must have some supports. Did your teacher explain this? It's the first step.

Well, after calculating the support reactions, you can calculate the force in every truss element by analyzing every node separately. Start with the node(s) where you have only two (out of three) unknown forces.

How did it come up with those calculations though?

Alpha[X]²;1288812 said:
How did it come up with those calculations though?

Which calculations? Do you mean, the calculation of the reaction forces at the supports?

Yes, the numbers on the members in the diagram.

Alpha[X]²;1288819 said:
Yes, the numbers on the members in the diagram.

I assume the numbers represent the forces in the members, and the colors represent compression/tension. As I said, you can calculate every force by looking at every node separately. Imagine you "cut out" the leftmost node. You have two unknown and forces and one familiar force. Set up two equations of equilibrium, one for the "y-direction", and one for the "x-direction". You can calculate the forces in the members from these equations.

But, that looks like an equilateral triangle, why is there different calculations?

Also, I the program used a matrix to solve the forces, what would the matrix calculation formula be?

What matrix are you talking about?

The calculations seem wrong. For example, I got ~28.87 for the leftmost blue truss element.

The triangles are not equilateral in the drawing.

The answers are correct (to 2sf) for the shape as it is drawn. I get 30.05 for the force in the leftmost blue truss.

AlephZero said:
The triangles are not equilateral in the drawing.

The answers are correct (to 2sf) for the shape as it is drawn. I get 30.05 for the force in the leftmost blue truss.

Of course, for some reason, I totally ignored the mesh. :uhh:

Alpha[X]^2, sorry for causing eventual confusion.

Read up on "pin-jointed analysis of trusses". The "matrix" is probably just Cramer's method to solve simultaneous equations for the member forces.

1. How do truss bridges differ from suspension bridges?

Truss bridges are made of interconnected triangles that distribute weight and tension evenly, while suspension bridges use cables to support the weight of the bridge and transfer it to anchor points.

2. What materials are commonly used to build truss and suspension bridges?

Truss bridges are typically made of steel, while suspension bridges can be made of steel, concrete, or a combination of both. Some modern suspension bridges also use carbon fiber materials.

3. How do engineers determine the design and dimensions of a truss or suspension bridge?

Engineers consider factors such as the length of the bridge, the expected weight and traffic load, and the environmental conditions of the site when determining the design and dimensions of a truss or suspension bridge.

4. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using truss or suspension bridges?

Truss bridges are generally cost-effective and easy to maintain, but may not be suitable for longer spans. Suspension bridges can span longer distances and are aesthetically pleasing, but may be more expensive to build and maintain.

5. How do truss and suspension bridges withstand natural disasters?

Both truss and suspension bridges are designed to withstand natural disasters such as earthquakes and high winds. They are built with sturdy materials and structural components that can withstand these forces and remain standing.