Truss - find internal force in each member

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the forum member has shared their solution for finding the internal forces in a truss and has asked for feedback. While some of the internal forces have been correctly calculated, there are a few things that may need to be corrected, such as considering all joints in the truss, labeling internal forces as either tension or compression, and ensuring the correct direction of the internal forces. The member is encouraged to review their solution and make necessary corrections.
jhox08

Homework Statement

please see the image, I am supposed to find the internal force in each member of the truss and state if its in compression or tension

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here is what I have so far (all in kN)...
My=40 up
Gy=80 up
Mx=0
from joint G
Tga=100 in compression
Tgh=60 in tension
from joint A
Tah=90 in compression
Tab=80 in tension
from joint H
Thb=162.5 in tension
Thj=157.5 in compression
from joint J
Tjb=20 in tension
Tjk=157.5 in tension
from joint B
Tbk=162.5 in tension
Tbc=80 in compression
from joint K
Tkl=255 in compression

I stopped here, I feel I've done something wrong, can someone let me know if I'm doing something wrong...thanks

Attachments

• ce2pic.jpg
    ce2pic.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your solution so far. It looks like you have correctly calculated the internal forces in some of the members of the truss. However, there are a few things that may need to be corrected in your solution.

Firstly, it seems like you have not considered the forces acting at joint C. Remember, every joint in a truss must be in equilibrium, which means that the sum of all forces acting at that joint must be equal to zero. So, there should be some internal forces in the members connected to joint C as well.

Secondly, it is important to note that the internal forces in a truss can only be in tension or compression. In your solution, you have some internal forces that are labeled as "up" or "down". This is not correct, as internal forces can only act along the length of the member, either pushing or pulling on the ends of the member.

Lastly, it would be helpful to label the direction of the internal forces as either tension or compression, rather than just the magnitude. This will make it easier to understand the overall stability of the truss and identify any critical members that may need to be reinforced.

I encourage you to review your solution and make any necessary corrections. If you need further assistance, please feel free to ask for clarification or additional guidance.

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural framework typically composed of straight members connected at their endpoints by joints. It is used to support and distribute loads, such as the weight of a roof, bridge, or other structure.

2. How do you find the internal force in each member of a truss?

The internal force in each member of a truss can be found by using the method of joints or the method of sections. Both methods involve applying the principles of equilibrium and statics to solve for the unknown forces in the truss members.

3. What factors affect the internal force in a truss member?

The internal force in a truss member is affected by the load applied to the truss, the geometry of the truss, and the support conditions. The material properties of the truss members, such as their strength and stiffness, also play a role.

4. How does the orientation of a truss member affect its internal force?

The orientation of a truss member can affect its internal force by changing the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the member. For example, a member in tension will experience a different internal force compared to the same member in compression.

5. What are some real-world applications of truss analysis?

Truss analysis is used in many engineering and construction applications, including the design of bridges, buildings, and cranes. It is also used in industries such as aerospace and automotive to optimize the strength and weight of structures.