1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truss Issues

1. Nov 5, 2013 #1
    In the attached problem, I don't understand why members CD and DE are equal to 0. I was under the impression that the combined vertical components of BC and CD should equal 6+downward components of BC and EF, as to counteract the force straight down, but this is not the case.

My questions:

Why are the forces in members CD and DE equal to zero?

If they are equal to 0, what stops the downward force from moving the structure?

Thank you

Note: G and Ay are 6 and 6, not 8 and 6 as shown. I used the right values for my calculations, but for some reason wrote 8 down

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear from your post: Who is saying that members CD and DE are equal to 0? Are you talking about the forces in these members?

4. Nov 5, 2013 #3
    Sorry yes - that's what I meant.

5. Nov 6, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You still haven't answered the main question: who is saying that the forces in members CD and DE are equal to 0?

6. Nov 6, 2013 #5
    The answers in the back of the textbook

7. Nov 6, 2013 #6
    IF THE STRUCTURE AND LOADING ARE BOTH SYMMETRICAL THEN THE EQUILIBRIUM OF JOINT d REQUIRES SYMMETRY OF FORCES IN cd AND de. tHAT IS THE CLUE....

8. Nov 6, 2013 #7

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey, you don't have to shout.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted