Understanding Truss Mechanics: Why Use the Ratio 40/41 and Y Distance of 6.3?

In summary: This gives d = 6.3 ft.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the force for member AB in a given diagram. There is confusion about the use of the ratio 40/41 and the y-distance of 6.3 ft, instead of using the given ratio of 4/5. The expert explains that the length of AD must be 41 ft due to the Pythagorean Theorem and the tangent of the angle is 40/41. They also mention the importance of accurately identifying the moment arm of AB, which is the perpendicular distance to point G. There may be multiple ways to calculate this distance, but the expert suggests finding angle CDH and using the sine of the angle to determine the
garr6120
Given the diagram in the file. I am trying to find the force for the member AB and I do not understand why they use the ratio 40/41 and why they are using 6.3 as the y distance because we have 9ft given and we use the ratio 4/5 instead of 40/41.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 5.11.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-03 at 5.11.47 PM.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 762
Engineering news on Phys.org
garr6120 said:
Given the diagram in the file. I am trying to find the force for the member AB and I do not understand why they use the ratio 40/41 and why they are using 6.3 as the y distance because we have 9ft given and we use the ratio 4/5 instead of 40/41.
You haven't shown any of the calculations, but it's immediately clear that the length of AD must by 41 ft because of the Pythagorean Theorem. Therefore, the tangent of the angle is 40/41. Presumably this is relevant.

Mapes said:
You haven't shown any of the calculations, but it's immediately clear that the length of AD must by 41 ft because of the Pythagorean Theorem. Therefore, the tangent of the angle is 40/41. Presumably this is relevant.

Sorry I should of shown them my bad. I calculated: the sum of moments around G. which is equal to -1.8kips(14ft)-0.9kips(28ft+(9/15(Fab))(9ft)
solving for the Fab I get a force of 9.33kN however the answer is 8.20kN and they use a ratio of 40/41 times 6.3 ft. I was wondering how to approach this problem and what am I doing wrong. Isn't the moment of Fab 9ft above G?

garr6120 said:
Sorry I should of shown them my bad. I calculated: the sum of moments around G. which is equal to -1.8kips(14ft)-0.9kips(28ft+(9/15(Fab))(9ft)
solving for the Fab I get a force of 9.33kN however the answer is 8.20kN and they use a ratio of 40/41 times 6.3 ft. I was wondering how to approach this problem and what am I doing wrong. Isn't the moment of Fab 9ft above G?
Ah, got it. Good identification of the correct free-body diagram to use! But the moment arm of AB is the perpendicular distance to G. The way I'd calculate it is to say that the cosine of the far right angle is d / 28 ft (where d is the moment arm) and that the cosine is also 9 ft / 41 ft from the larger triangle. (Note that the first hypotenuse is on the bottom; the second is on the top.) This gives the same answer. There are probably a few ways to work it out; it would be good practice to try to find another way.

EDIT: Sorry, earlier I should have written that the sine, not the tangent, is 40/41.

I have a question though I understand that AB is the perpendicular distance above G therefore you cannot find a moment using the length of AB in the x direction. However, I am still confused about the length in x being 40 from G shouldn't the length be 12ft. Am I thinking about Moments wrong?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "the length in x being 40 from G". You may be referring to a calculation that I don't see. The moment arm of AB around point G is shown below. There are multiple ways to find this distance; the approach I took was to first find angle CDH, whose tangent is 9 ft / 40 ft. Then I used the fact that the sine of the angle is d / 28 ft, where d is the perpendicular distance from AB to G.
upload_2016-12-4_9-32-25.png

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structural system made up of interconnected members that are designed to carry loads and resist forces. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

2. How does a truss work?

A truss works by distributing the forces applied to it, such as the weight of a roof or the load of a bridge, evenly among its members. This allows the truss to efficiently transfer the forces to its supports, maintaining stability and preventing collapse.

3. What are the different types of trusses?

There are several types of trusses, including the Warren truss, Pratt truss, Howe truss, and K truss. These differ in their design and arrangement of members, but all function to distribute forces and support structures.

4. How are trusses analyzed?

Trusses are analyzed using principles of statics and mechanics. The loads and forces acting on the truss are determined, and then equations are used to calculate the internal forces and stresses within the truss members. This helps engineers determine if the truss is strong enough to withstand the applied loads.

5. What factors affect the design of a truss?

The design of a truss is influenced by several factors, including the type of structure it will support, the materials available, the expected loads and forces, and the desired aesthetic. The type of connections used between truss members and the shape of the truss can also impact its design.