Is There an Easier Method for Solving Truss Problems?

• Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary, the conversation involves discussing a difficult homework problem involving the method of section and the challenges of solving it within a time limit. The person asking for help is struggling with calculating lengths and slopes using geometry and trigonometry and is looking for suggestions on how to approach the problem more efficiently.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

7F9F38F7-E1D4-4C7F-A665-4377358C4063.jpeg

Homework Equations

Method of section

The Attempt at a Solution

This pic below is my attempt, almost solved out length of all the truss... (and i am not sure if my numbers are correct as well for such a troublesome method in solving... )

as my exam would only leave me 15 minutes for each question, so it would be unlikely that i could solve it out with the same method during exam... i am sure there would be simpler ways to solve it...

can anyone suggest any better method to attempt the question?
Thank you very much!

FC77E2DF-BBFF-45E3-9238-81F4FACA6F4F.jpeg

Attachments

• FC77E2DF-BBFF-45E3-9238-81F4FACA6F4F.jpeg
    FC77E2DF-BBFF-45E3-9238-81F4FACA6F4F.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 346
  • 7F9F38F7-E1D4-4C7F-A665-4377358C4063.jpeg
    7F9F38F7-E1D4-4C7F-A665-4377358C4063.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a bit of a pain to calculate lengths and slopes using geometry and trig. I'm not sure where yourverrir might be in the geometry, if any, but when you summed forces in the y direction, you forgot to include the applied load L.

Last edited:

1. What is the Truss-Method of section?

The Truss-Method of section is a structural analysis technique used to determine the internal forces and reactions in a truss structure. It involves cutting a section through the truss and analyzing the equilibrium of the resulting section.

2. How does the Truss-Method of section work?

The Truss-Method of section works by isolating a specific section of the truss and analyzing the forces acting on it. By applying the principles of equilibrium, the internal forces and reactions at that section can be determined.

3. When is the Truss-Method of section used?

The Truss-Method of section is typically used when analyzing statically determinate truss structures, where the number of unknown forces is equal to the number of equilibrium equations. It is also useful for determining the internal forces in specific sections of a truss.

4. What are the advantages of using the Truss-Method of section?

The Truss-Method of section is a simple and efficient way to analyze truss structures. It does not require detailed calculations and can provide quick results. It also allows for the determination of internal forces at specific points in the truss.

5. Are there any limitations to the Truss-Method of section?

The Truss-Method of section is only applicable to statically determinate truss structures and cannot be used for more complex truss systems. It also assumes that the truss members are connected by frictionless pins, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.