Can a truss with released ends still form a mechanism?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem encountered while modelling a truss on an analysis software. The solution is to release all but one end of the joints, however, even with this solution, a mechanism still occurs. The conversation also mentions a possible experiment and incorrect information about the structure being statically determinate. The final conclusion is that the structure is statically indeterminate and requires a different method of analysis.
gabuchia
Dear all! I have encountered a problem with modelling a truss.

When modelling on an analysis software, you must release the ends of the joints, but not all
or it will form a mechanism, therefore you release all but one of the joint.
But what I have here, is a truss that is released on all ends except for one for every joint,
yet a mechanism still seems to occur here are the pictures! They're attached!
Try modelling it! If it is possible, please do let me know what the problem is! This little experiment is driving me nuts =D. All I could pull out is that, one of the nodes will rotate, but I can't make sense out of it.

Thanks!

Edit: the centre is not a node

Attachments

• Truss1.JPG
    Truss1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 600
  • Truss2.JPG
    Truss2.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 544
Engineering news on Phys.org
If the center is not a node, you have instability, since your triangles don't exist. Pin everything together at the center node.

To see what the mechanism is with one diagonal removed, suppose you remove the horizontal one.

Then, bars 2 and 5 form a mechanism so you can delete them, and the same for bars 4 and 7.

The 4 bars that are left form a "crossed quadrilateral" or "bowtie" which also has a mechanism.

Post #2 is wrong. The complete structure doesn't have any mechanisms without a center node, even though it can't be decomposed into triangles. But it is not statically determiate, so you can't analyse it with the "standard" methods for statically determinate structures. The forces in the different bars depend on their relative stiffness as well as on the applied loads.

The main reason why people used to design trusses from triangles only was so they WERE statically determinate and easy to analyse by hand, not because they were the most efficient structural designs.

AlephZero said:
Post #2 is wrong. The complete structure doesn't have any mechanisms without a center node, even though it can't be decomposed into triangles. But it is not statically determiate, so you can't analyse it with the "standard" methods for statically determinate structures.

Indeed, the structure is statically indeterminate, yet stable without the center node. Sorry about that, thanks for the correction.

, it's just a reference point.Dear researcher,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Based on the information provided, it is possible for a truss with released ends to still form a mechanism. A mechanism is defined as a structure in which all the joints are connected in a way that allows for movement without any external forces being applied. In other words, a mechanism is a structure that is able to move on its own without external support.

In your case, by releasing all but one of the joints, you have essentially created a structure with one fixed joint and the rest of the joints being able to move freely. This can result in a mechanism being formed, as the structure is able to move without any external forces being applied.

To further understand the problem you are facing, it would be helpful to know the specific analysis software you are using and the type of truss being modelled. Additionally, it would be useful to know the specific constraints and loading conditions applied to the truss.

In general, to prevent a mechanism from forming, it is important to have at least one joint with a fixed constraint (such as a fixed support) and to ensure that the structure is statically determinate. This means that the number of unknown reactions must be equal to the number of equations of equilibrium.

I hope this helps in your analysis and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. How does a truss model work?

A truss model is a structural framework made up of interconnected members that work together to transfer loads and distribute forces. It typically consists of triangular elements that are connected at joints, creating a stable and rigid structure.

2. What are the benefits of using truss modelling mechanism?

Truss models are lightweight, yet strong and efficient in transferring loads. They are also versatile and can be used in a variety of structures such as bridges, roofs, and towers. Additionally, truss models are cost-effective and can be easily fabricated and assembled.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a truss model?

Some important factors to consider when designing a truss model include the type of load it will be subjected to, the material used for the members, the angle and length of the members, and the type of connections between the members.

4. Can truss models be optimized for maximum strength?

Yes, truss models can be optimized for maximum strength by adjusting the angle and length of the members, as well as the placement of the joints. This can be done through computer simulations and analysis, allowing for the most efficient and strongest truss design.

5. Are truss models suitable for all types of structures?

While truss models are versatile and can be used in a variety of structures, they may not be suitable for all types of structures. For example, truss models may not be the best choice for structures that require large open spaces or for structures that are complex and require curved shapes.