Timoshenko's Solution for Truss Problems

In summary: In the first chapter of the first book, he solves an example with a truss with point load. The problem is of a truss with point load, and I don't understand the second figure (b) particularly how it was calculated, I tried using method of joints, but I am getting different results. Relevant Equations:xyzIn summary, xyzHomework Statement is new to the forum and has a problem with a solved example in the book Strength of Material. He does not know where to begin and uses a method of joint, but gets different results. He finds the answer using the triangle law of forces as suggested by NRP99.
newbie1127
Homework Statement
Hello everyone,
i am new to the forum and this is my first message, please go easy on me if i break any rules/make mistakes

i recently started reading Strength of Material by Timoshenko and in the first chapter encountered a problem in one of the solved examples (attached screenshot)

The problem is of a truss with point load,
i dont understand the second figure(b) particularly how it was calculated, i tried using method of joints, but i am getting different results.
Relevant Equations
xyz
xyz

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-04-13 12-20-51.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-13 12-20-51.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot from 2022-04-13 12-20-51.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-13 12-20-51.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 130
Physics news on Phys.org
newbie1127 said:
Homework Statement:: Hello everyone,
i am new to the forum and this is my first message, please go easy on me if i break any rules/make mistakes

i recently started reading Strength of Material by Timoshenko and in the first chapter encountered a problem in one of the solved examples (attached screenshot)

The problem is of a truss with point load,
i don't understand the second figure(b) particularly how it was calculated, i tried using method of joints, but i am getting different results.
Relevant Equations:: xyz

xyz
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you show your work so far? It's best if you can post the math equations using the "LaTeX Guide" link in the footer. Thanks.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Can you show your work so far? It's best if you can post the math equations using the "LaTeX Guide" link in the footer. Thanks.
@berkeman thanks for replying,

i don't know where to begin, i skipped the question for now
i only have used method of joints where i did:

assumed equilibrium conditions and hence did,
1) sum of all horizontal forces = 0
2) sum of all vertical forces = 0
3) all moment about a point = 0 and calculated the force values

problem is i start the problem with another value
for example:
i take initial force of 27000 lb to calculate value of AB
whereas, the author starts with 18000 lb and hence, i get different result

my values for AB : 27000 lb - initial force ; and get 54000 lb - as tension force on AB
author's values for AB : 18000 lb - initial force ; and gets 36000 lb - as tension force for AB

i think i am missing some concept that has to be applied before appling the method of joint or some other method. i just don't know what it is

I got the answer, thanks to someone named NRG99

solution i found: using the triangle law of forces as suggested by NRP99

Now that i think on it, i was too concerned about why it was that 18000 and 9000 were written seperately and if they had any physics significance turns out it was just a mathematical by-product of solving the problem and doesn't represent anything

also, i want to end this by giving credit to the author,
while calculating the solution i came across the number 1053
i wouldn't have thought anything of it if i didn't know the answer 9000√13
i wouldn't have thought 13 was a factor of 1053
i know he is a super smart guy, i just thought it was interesting to mention.

Likes Lnewqban
Welcome!
I hope you bring more questions to us.
Timoshenko is an excellent book (I and II).

Likes newbie1127

1. What is Timoshenko's solution for truss problems?

Timoshenko's solution is a mathematical method used to solve truss problems, which involve determining the internal forces and displacements of a truss structure under applied loads. It takes into account the bending stiffness of the truss members, making it more accurate than the traditional method of assuming all members are perfectly rigid.

2. When is Timoshenko's solution used?

Timoshenko's solution is typically used when the truss structure has members with relatively small cross-sectional areas compared to their lengths, causing significant bending deformation. It is also used in situations where high accuracy is required, such as in the design of bridges and other large structures.

3. How does Timoshenko's solution differ from the traditional method?

The traditional method assumes that all truss members are perfectly rigid, neglecting any bending deformation. Timoshenko's solution takes into account the bending stiffness of the members, resulting in more accurate calculations of internal forces and displacements.

4. What are the limitations of Timoshenko's solution?

Timoshenko's solution is only applicable to truss structures with members that are relatively slender and have small cross-sectional areas compared to their lengths. It also assumes that the truss is statically determinate, meaning that all supports and applied loads can be determined without the need for additional equations.

5. Are there any other methods for solving truss problems?

Yes, there are other methods such as the matrix displacement method and the finite element method. These methods are more versatile and can be applied to a wider range of structures, but they also require more complex calculations and may not be as accurate as Timoshenko's solution for truss problems.