1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truss Problem

1. Apr 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine all member forces and state if they are in tension or compression, in particular I am looking for member AE and AB

New Doc 2017-04-24_2.jpg

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    New Doc 2017-04-24_1.jpg

Ok so we are supposed to redo the problems from our exam, only I can't figure out how to find the forces in member AE and AB. I am wondering if my teacher made a mistake in correcting mine...

Also is it correct that there is no x component to the reaction force at A? The pin support is not bolted to the ground and we don't use friction in these problems so I did not add an Ax force. However now that I think about it, wouldn't this mean that the truss is moving? If there is an Ax force wouldn't that change the rest of my answers that were marked as correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2017 #2
    I figured out my mistake Fcd should be negative from diagram C. This changes some of the rest of the answers, it looks like my teacher didn't mark me off for having the sign wrong but in any case I've figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted