Discover the Best Truss Design to Support Your Fascia | Expert Tips

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a support structure for a building, specifically the fascia which is too high and may be unstable. The proposed solution is to add a truss for additional support, but the question arises of how to calculate if the truss is enough to support the fascia. The conversation also mentions the possibility of adding a tie to the fascia. However, it is mentioned that the current design is not optimal and a better design process is suggested, involving identifying loading forces and determining the most effective structural members and fixing points.
HarryKoh
Hey guys, from the figure, I was planning to put a truss (shaded in the figure) to support the fascia, due to the fascia being too high (3m) and it may be unstable, thus adding the additional truss support. But my question is how do I calculate if that shaded truss is enough to support the fascia? Any idea guys? Thanks.

P/S : Could've add a tie to the fascia, but I really do want to know if the truss can support the fascia..

Thanks and best regards.

Attachments

• 16976151_10154459399526676_113832111_n.jpg
    16976151_10154459399526676_113832111_n.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 492
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not enough information given. Is this a building? If yes I'm guessing a structural engineer must approve the design unless you live in a country where anything goes?

Spinnor said:
Not enough information given. Is this a building? If yes I'm guessing a structural engineer must approve the design unless you live in a country where anything goes?

Yep, it is a building, but a capstone design project in my university.

That is not a very good design of support structure with or without the extra strut .

See if you can come up with a much better one .

Start the design process by identifying the magnitude and direction of the loading forces acting on the facia and marking them on a scale diagram of the facia and building wall .

When you have done that work out the simplest system of structural members that will carry these loading forces back to the fixing points on the wall . Decide for yourself where the optimal positions for these fixing points are .

This design process is essentially similar to use of free body diagrams for solving simple textbook statics problems .

Last edited:

1. What is a truss to support fascia?

A truss to support fascia is a structural element used in construction to provide support for the fascia, which is the vertical edge of a roof that overhangs the exterior walls of a building.

2. How does a truss to support fascia work?

A truss to support fascia works by distributing the weight of the fascia and the roof evenly to the exterior walls of a building. It uses a triangular structure to provide stability and prevent sagging or collapse.

3. What materials are commonly used to make a truss to support fascia?

The most commonly used materials for a truss to support fascia are wood, steel, and aluminum. Wood is the most traditional and cost-effective option, while steel and aluminum offer greater strength and durability.

4. How is a truss to support fascia installed?

A truss to support fascia is typically installed during the construction of a building, as it is integrated into the roof structure. It is assembled on the ground and then lifted into place using cranes or other equipment.

5. What are the benefits of using a truss to support fascia?

The main benefits of using a truss to support fascia are its structural stability, cost-effectiveness, and ease of installation. It also allows for longer roof spans and can be custom-designed to fit the specific needs of a building.