1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trusses problem

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    BWBVyNg.jpg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How to find forces in bars BD CD and CE?

2. Relevant equations
    Static

3. The attempt at a solution

Bd: -2.5 KN
    Cd: 0.866 KN
    Ce: 1.73 KN

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 15, 2016 #3
    Hi Zaza:

Since no one else has posted an answer, I will offer a thought which I hope will be helpful, although I have never previously attempted to analyze this kind of problem.

Since no mention has been made about the nature of the joints between the beams, I assume that torque stresses on the joints can be ignored. You have calculated that the stress on CE is 1.73 KN. I notice that the joint G has a rolling support, and joints C and E are unsupported. I interpret this to mean that any stresses at G due to horizontal forces on AC, CE, and EG will result in G moving left or right, and this motion will relieve any horizontal stresses in AC, CE, and EG. Since any force in CE must be entirely horizontal due to symmetry, the force in bar CE is zero.

Regards,
    Buzz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted