Find Forces in Truss Bars BD, CD and CE

• Thread starter Zaza669
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trusses
In summary, the question is asking about finding the forces in bars BD, CD, and CE using static analysis. Based on the given information, it can be determined that the force in CE is zero due to the rolling support at joint G.
Zaza669
BWBVyNg.jpg
1. Homework Statement

How to find forces in bars BD CD and CE?

Homework Equations

Static[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Bd: -2.5 KN
Cd: 0.866 KN
Ce: 1.73 KN

Hi Zaza:

Since no one else has posted an answer, I will offer a thought which I hope will be helpful, although I have never previously attempted to analyze this kind of problem.

Since no mention has been made about the nature of the joints between the beams, I assume that torque stresses on the joints can be ignored. You have calculated that the stress on CE is 1.73 KN. I notice that the joint G has a rolling support, and joints C and E are unsupported. I interpret this to mean that any stresses at G due to horizontal forces on AC, CE, and EG will result in G moving left or right, and this motion will relieve any horizontal stresses in AC, CE, and EG. Since any force in CE must be entirely horizontal due to symmetry, the force in bar CE is zero.

Regards,
Buzz

1. How do you calculate the forces in truss bars BD, CD, and CE?

The forces in truss bars BD, CD, and CE can be calculated using the method of joints or the method of sections. The method of joints involves analyzing each individual joint in the truss to determine the forces in the bars connected to it. The method of sections involves cutting the truss into sections and analyzing the forces in the bars within that section. Both methods use the principles of equilibrium to determine the forces in each bar.

2. What are the assumptions made when finding forces in truss bars?

When finding forces in truss bars, there are several assumptions that are commonly made. These include assuming that all joints are frictionless, that the weight of the bars is negligible, and that the bars are connected by ideal pins or hinges that allow for rotation but not translation. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and analysis of the truss structure.

3. How does the angle of a truss bar affect the magnitude of the force?

The angle of a truss bar can greatly affect the magnitude of the force it experiences. When a truss is loaded, the forces in the bars are distributed based on their angle relative to the applied load. Truss bars with a greater angle relative to the load will experience a larger force, while truss bars with a smaller angle will experience a smaller force.

4. What happens when a truss bar is removed or fails?

If a truss bar is removed or fails, it can significantly impact the stability and load-carrying capacity of the truss. The remaining bars will experience a redistribution of forces, which can cause them to reach their maximum capacity and potentially fail. It is important to carefully analyze and design truss structures to ensure that no single bar is critical to the overall stability of the truss.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding forces in truss bars?

Finding forces in truss bars is essential in the design and construction of many structures, including bridges, roofs, and towers. By accurately calculating the forces and stresses in the truss, engineers can ensure that the structure is strong enough to support the intended loads and remains stable under various conditions. Additionally, understanding the forces in truss bars can help identify potential problem areas or weaknesses in the structure, allowing for necessary adjustments or reinforcements before construction.