1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truth statement/Truth table

1. Sep 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the statement below is neither a tautology or a contradiction
    [ p V ((¬ r) → (¬s))] V [ ( s → (( ¬ t ) V p )) V ((¬ q ) → r )]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My thing is there way to do this...I don't know if this makes sense but i think it is neither because they have 2 variables that don't exist a regular Q and a regular T....I am somewhat new at this and I think because there isn't regular Q and T I think this statement is neither a tautology or contradiction because the statement has a ~Q and a ~T. PLEASE HELP....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi ARTIE24M. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

I don't know how to answer this question, either. But I don't think you can write it off simply on the basis that the second term includes 2 variables that don't appear in the first. (After all, it might be that the ~q is effectively ANDED with zero, therefore removing variable q from the expression.)

The way I'm thinking you might be expected to solve it is to replace each implication A ⟶ B with the logical equivalent ¬A V B until you have simplified the whole expression to something like: p V q V r V s V ¬t

and you can see this is neither always TRUE, nor always FALSE.

If you find out your examiner requires something completely different, please post here.

Reference: http://www.millersville.edu/~bikenaga/math-proof/truth-tables/truth-tables.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted