Exploring the Concept of Dual: Truth Table Homework

In summary, The duality principle states that when dualizing an expression, you replace 'and' with 'or' and 't (tautology)' with 'c(contradiction)'. This can be proved using truth tables.
Suyash Singh

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-27_9-28-37.png

What is dual?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not on net. Meaning of dual i don't know and can't find.

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-27_9-28-37.png
    upload_2018-5-27_9-28-37.png
    487 bytes · Views: 1,182
Physics news on Phys.org
Suyash Singh said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 226222
What is dual?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not on net. Meaning of dual i don't know and can't find.
In layman's terms, Duality principle just says that you replace each and every 'and' with 'or' & vice-versa; every 't (tautology)' with 'c(contradiction)'
So first you express 'p implies q' in an equivalent form of 'ands' and 'ors', same thing again with the whole expression, and then apply the dual.
Keep in mind that you don't touch the negations (if any) in the expression. For further reading, visit Boolean algebra - Wikipedia.

baldbrain said:
In layman's terms, Duality principle just says that you replace each and every 'and' with 'or' & vice-versa; every 't (tautology)' with 'c(contradiction)'
So first you express 'p implies q' in an equivalent form of 'ands' and 'ors', same thing again with the whole expression, and then apply the dual.
Keep in mind that you don't touch the negations (if any) in the expression. For further reading, visit Boolean algebra - Wikipedia.

Not sure If I understood correctly. Do we just take the contrapositive of this statement? It is the first time I hear the word dull.
or do you mean 'p implies q' is equivalent to not P ∨ Q ?

Guys, the OP has left the building

Likes baldbrain
MidgetDwarf said:
Not sure If I understood correctly. Do we just take the contrapositive of this statement? It is the first time I hear the word dual.
or do you mean 'p implies q' is equivalent to not P ∨ Q ?
No, not contrapositive.
For a second, forget about duals & everything.
Using truth tables, prove that p→q ≡ ~p v q.
Then, just replace 'v' by '∧' without doing anything to the negation and without changing anything else. If, there's any t or c as I mentioned above, you interchange them as well.

1. What is a dual in the context of truth tables?

A dual in the context of truth tables refers to the complement of a logical expression. It is obtained by switching the AND and OR operators and replacing all TRUE values with FALSE and vice versa.

2. How is a dual truth table constructed?

To construct a dual truth table, follow these steps:

• Write the original truth table for the given expression.
  • Swap all AND and OR operators.
  • Replace all TRUE values with FALSE and FALSE values with TRUE.
  • The resulting table is the dual of the original truth table.

3. What is the significance of duality in logic and truth tables?

Duality in logic and truth tables allows us to switch between AND and OR operations and still maintain the same logical result. This makes it easier to express complex expressions and simplify them using De Morgan's laws.

4. Can a statement and its dual always be both true?

No, a statement and its dual cannot always be both true. It is possible for a statement and its dual to have different truth values. However, in some cases, they may have the same truth value.

5. How does duality relate to the concept of negation in logic?

Duality and negation are closely related concepts in logic. Negation is the process of reversing the truth value of a statement, while duality is the process of switching AND and OR operations. By using duality, we can easily express the negation of a logical expression and vice versa.