• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Truth table (dual)

Homework Statement

upload_2018-5-27_9-28-37.png

What is dual?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not on net. Meaning of dual i dont know and cant find.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

View attachment 226222
What is dual?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not on net. Meaning of dual i dont know and cant find.
In layman's terms, Duality principle just says that you replace each and every 'and' with 'or' & vice-versa; every 't (tautology)' with 'c(contradiction)'
So first you express 'p implies q' in an equivalent form of 'ands' and 'ors', same thing again with the whole expression, and then apply the dual.
Keep in mind that you don't touch the negations (if any) in the expression. For further reading, visit Boolean algebra - Wikipedia.

In layman's terms, Duality principle just says that you replace each and every 'and' with 'or' & vice-versa; every 't (tautology)' with 'c(contradiction)'
So first you express 'p implies q' in an equivalent form of 'ands' and 'ors', same thing again with the whole expression, and then apply the dual.
Keep in mind that you don't touch the negations (if any) in the expression. For further reading, visit Boolean algebra - Wikipedia.
Not sure If I understood correctly. Do we just take the contrapositive of this statement? It is the first time I hear the word dull.
or do you mean 'p implies q' is equivalent to not P ∨ Q ?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Guys, the OP has left the building

Likes baldbrain
Not sure If I understood correctly. Do we just take the contrapositive of this statement? It is the first time I hear the word dual.
or do you mean 'p implies q' is equivalent to not P ∨ Q ?
No, not contrapositive.
For a second, forget about duals & everything.
Using truth tables, prove that p→q ≡ ~p v q.
Then, just replace 'v' by '∧' without doing anything to the negation and without changing anything else. If, there's any t or c as I mentioned above, you interchange them as well.