Proving Implication with Truth Tables: When Do We Use T or F?

In summary, to prove that not A implies B if and only if not B implies A, a truth table can be constructed and it is shown that the 3rd and 4th columns are the same, which completes the proof. In the truth table, the only combination of truth values that make the implications false are when the hypothesis is true and the conclusion is false. This applies to both A ==> B and not B ==> A, and therefore the two implications are equivalent.
sara_87

Homework Statement

prove that:
not A implies B
if and only if
not B implies A

Homework Equations

construct truth table

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is given as a table (T means true, F means false):

A| B| not A implies B| not B implies A| IFF

T T T T T
T F T T T
F T T T T
F F F F T

I understand that since the 3rd and 4th columns are the same, this completes the proof. BUT, i don't understand when to put T and when to put F.
any help wud be very much appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
sara_87 said:

Homework Statement

prove that:
not A implies B
if and only if
not B implies A

Homework Equations

construct truth table

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is given as a table (T means true, F means false):

A| B| not A implies B| not B implies A| IFF

T T T T T
T F T T T
F T T T T
F F F F T

I understand that since the 3rd and 4th columns are the same, this completes the proof. BUT, i don't understand when to put T and when to put F.
any help wud be very much appreciated.
Thank you

I assume your question is about what to put in the 3rd and 4th columns.

The only combination of truth values for which the implication A ==> B is false, is when the hypothesis (A here) is true but the conclusion (B here) is false.

It's the same for the implication ~A ==> B. The only combination for which this implication is false is when the hypothesis (~A) is true, but the conclusion (B) is false.
For ~A to be true, it must be that A is false, so looking at the first two columns of your truth table, the row that makes ~A ==> B false is the fourth row, where A is false and B is false.

The explanation for ~B ==> A is similar.

''The only combination of truth values for which the implication A ==> B is false, is when the hypothesis (A here) is true but the conclusion (B here) is false.
''

But, if A is true, then B is false, why would this make A==>B false?
wouldnt A==>B be false if A is true AND B is true ?

Thank you

If you believe that "if true then true" is a false statement, then you need to go back and review basic definitions.

OH...right i see. sorry i misunderstood. i read it as:

''The only combination of truth values for which the implication (not )A ==> B is false, is when the hypothesis (A here) is true but the conclusion (B here) is false''

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a logical diagram or chart that shows all possible combinations of inputs and their corresponding outputs for a given logical statement, such as an argument or a mathematical formula.

2. How is a truth table used to prove a statement?

A truth table is used to prove a statement by systematically evaluating all possible combinations of inputs and showing that the statement is true for each one. If the statement is true for all possible inputs, then it is considered to be a valid proof.

3. Are truth tables limited to simple statements?

No, truth tables can be used to prove both simple and complex statements. However, as the number of variables and possible inputs increases, the truth table becomes more complex and difficult to evaluate.

4. Can a truth table be used to disprove a statement?

Yes, a truth table can be used to disprove a statement if there is at least one combination of inputs where the statement is false. In this case, the statement is considered to be invalid and the truth table serves as a counterexample.

5. What are the advantages of using a truth table for proof?

One advantage of using a truth table for proof is that it provides a systematic and organized way to evaluate all possible combinations of inputs. It also allows for clear visualization of the logical relationships between different inputs and outputs, making it easier to identify patterns and draw conclusions.