Truth Tables for Validity: Using Equations to Determine Satisfaction

• Thread starter XodoX
  • Start date
In summary: Then you can fill in the remaining columns. The first one is always true, and the second one is true if x=1 and y=1. So the second expression is valid, but the first one is not.In summary, the first statement is not valid, as it simplifies to X & Y & not X, which is not always true. The second statement is valid, as it simplifies to X & Y & not X, which is true when X and Y are both 1. By using truth table identities, it can be shown that both statements have a valid form.
XodoX
I want to use truth tables to show that equations can be satisfied or not, or if they are valid.

not(X→(Y→X))

(X∧(notX→notY))→Y

I would say the first one is valid, because of the not in front of it, it's always true. I don't know about the second one. I don't know how to split them up best to use a truth table. I guess I can/should use:

X, notX, notY, Y, X∧(notX→notY), notX→notY and (X∧(notX→notY))→Y.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one way to look at the problem: If you do a truth table for ## \neg (A \rightarrow B) ##, you will see that it is logically equivalent to the statement ## A \& \neg B ##. So your first statement is equivalent to ## X \& \neg (Y \rightarrow X) ##. But then that is equivalent to ## X \& Y \& \neg X ##. The basic idea is to use truth table identities to transform the complex statement into simpler ones.

You can make a truth table with a row for all combinations of y and x. As the columns you use x, y, (y->x), (x->(y->x)) and not(x->(y->x))
Code:
x y    (y->x)    x->(y-x)  not(x->(y-x))
0 0
0 1
1 0
1 1
If there are only ones in al column, the expression is always true, and if there are only zeros, the expression is never true for any x or y.

1. What is a truth table?

A truth table is a visual representation of all possible combinations of inputs and outputs in a logical expression. It is used to determine the validity of an argument or statement.

2. How do you create a truth table?

To create a truth table, list all possible combinations of inputs in the leftmost column, and all possible outputs in the rightmost column. Then, fill in the remaining columns by evaluating the logical expression for each input combination.

3. What is the purpose of a truth table?

The purpose of a truth table is to determine the validity of an argument or statement. It helps to identify whether a logical expression is always true, sometimes true, or never true based on the input values.

4. What is the difference between a valid and an invalid argument?

A valid argument is one where the conclusion follows logically from the premises. In other words, if the premises are true, then the conclusion must also be true. An invalid argument is one where the conclusion does not logically follow from the premises, even if the premises are true.

5. How do you determine the validity of an argument using a truth table?

To determine the validity of an argument using a truth table, look for a row where all the premises are true and the conclusion is false. If such a row exists, the argument is invalid. If such a row does not exist, the argument is valid.