1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truth Tables

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    I'm taking Abstract Algebra right now, and we just briefly covered Logic and Truth Tables. This is my first time in school to learn such things.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110712_195458.jpg [Broken]

37. I understand.

39. I understand.

41. I don't understand the last column. Is the implication (p ∧ q) ⇒ p true because (p ∧ q) gives you no information on whether p is true? Why?

43. For p ⇒ q, I understand the first two column entries (T,F), is the implication because p being False gives no information on whether p ⇒ q is True? Again, for the last column, is
    (p ∧ (p ⇒ q)) True because it being False gives you no new information on q?

If my reasoning is correct, then I can see the following logical consistencies here. Also, I notice for the implications ⇒, there is an additional column asking for its truth value. But, there is no such thing for the iff ⇔ statements. Why?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

41 is called vacuously true, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuous_truth

basically in a statement
    [tex] P \implies Q[/tex]

if P is false, then the statement is vacuously true, as the rest of the statement no longer needs to be evaluated

consider in the form
    if P then Q
    when P is false the statement has no more information. In an analogy with programming, there is no elseif or else so nothing else to evaluate making it vacuously true

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

41. is true because the only way for [itex]A\implies B[/itex] to be false is for A to be true and B to be false.

(p AND q) is always false when p is false.

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would word this as: When p is false , then p ⇒ q gives no information as to whether q is true or false.

6. Jul 13, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Another way to think of this (#41) is this: If p and q are true, then obviously p is true. There's a related statement -
    (p ∧ q) ⇒ q

7. Jul 14, 2011 #6
    Okay. I got it. Thanks for the help, guys.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook