What is the truth value of this statement about numbers?

• Thread starter Lococard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the statement "There exists x for every (x[i]squared[i] smaller than y+1)" is true for all non-negative real numbers x and y. To prove it, one can choose any value of x less than the square root of y+1.
Lococard

Homework Statement

Determine the truth value of the statement.

There exists x for every (xsquared smaller than y+1)

x and y a set of non-negative real numbers

Sorry i don't know how to do the maths symbols on the computer.

Homework Equations

All the numbers i have used make the statement true. The teacher said to try and proove the statement false, rather than prooving it correct.

Another teacher said it is to do with fractions.

The Attempt at a Solution

As above

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the question as it was given? Is the question;

Show that there exists a value of x such that for every value of y, [itex]x^2 < y+1[/itex] ?

If that is the question, the statement is actually true.

Ah ok.

How would i prove this?

I looked at a few of the proven workings but nothing resembles a similar question?

To prove it: Since y must be a non-negative real number, the smallest the RHS can be is 1. So every single time it suffices to choose a value of x^2 less than 1, which is a value of x less than 1.

In fact any number [itex]x < \sqrt{y + 1}[/itex] would do. If you'd want to be dull you could just take x = 0 for all y.

1. What is the definition of "truth value of statement"?

The truth value of a statement refers to whether the statement is true or false. It is a concept used in logic and philosophy to evaluate the validity of a statement.

2. How is the truth value of a statement determined?

The truth value of a statement is determined by comparing it to objective facts or evidence. If the statement aligns with reality, it is considered true. If it contradicts reality, it is considered false.

3. Can a statement have a truth value other than true or false?

In classical logic, a statement can only have two truth values: true or false. However, in some other systems of logic, there may be additional truth values such as "unknown" or "undetermined".

4. How does the concept of truth value relate to scientific research?

In scientific research, the truth value of a statement is crucial in determining the validity and reliability of the results. Scientists use evidence and data to support their statements and conclusions, ensuring that they are as close to the truth as possible.

5. Can the truth value of a statement change over time?

Yes, the truth value of a statement can change over time as new evidence or information is discovered. This is why scientific theories and ideas are constantly evolving and being refined. What may be considered true today may be proven false in the future.