Are there truly non-redundant statements of truth?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses three statements that are considered to be absolutely true: 1) I exist, 2) I am conscious, and 3) Whatever exists has the characteristics that it has. However, it is argued that these statements are redundant and flawed. Other potential absolutely true statements are suggested, such as "I know I exist" and "The mathematical numbers 1-X exist."
Mentat
It was mentioned in a previous thread that there are three absolutely true statements:

1) I exist.
2) I am conscious.
3) Whatever exists has the characteristics that it has.

My problem with them is that the first and third ones appear redundant (which makes them, somewhat, logically useless, IMHO), while the second seems perfectly non-redundant and yet remains flawed.

The first statement is redundant, since the subject "I" has made reference to him/herself and has thus already validated her/his own existence before using the term "exist". The statement is basically (when broken down) "There is an I, and it exists", which is clearly redundant.

The third statement is more obviously redundant since it can be restated as "If something has certain characteristics, it has those characteristics".

However, the second one never made any reference to consciousness, and is thus non-redundant, but still flawed. If I were to program my PC to say "I am conscious", then it would say it, but it would not be true. Since, the subject of consciousness is rather delicate, perhaps the illustration of a tape recorder is better...but the result is the same: This statement can be false.

Any corrections, comments, and (I hope) more examples of absolutely true statements, are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Mentat
It was mentioned in a previous thread that there are three absolutely true statements:

1) I exist.
2) I am conscious.
3) Whatever exists has the characteristics that it has.

Aren't all of those statements rather overblown? I thought the point behind Descarte's Cogito Ergo Sum was "The only thing that I personally can be sure about is my own existence." That point of divergence works for the individual, but doesn't apply to anyone else. For example, you might be sure of your own existence, but don't expect me to buy it, especially on the Internet. :smile: So I hardly think it can qualify as an absolute as it seems intended to be.

The second doesn't even seem like a well formed proposition. What's the definition of "consciousness?" It's damnably hard to come up with one that is sufficiently inclusive but not excessively so, and even harder to convey that definition without distortions (since, almost certainly, the concepts needed to expressit will be highly ideosyncratic). Plus, the statement as it is is actually wrong. I could be in a coma and not actually be conscious, yet still exist (again, depending on subtlties of the definition of both "conscious" and "exists").

The third sounds much like a tautology, unless it's intent is to disabuse the notion that existence in the abstract can be separated from all characteristics.

So I'd agree with you that those three statements don't really provide much to go on.

If those three are absolutely true, couldn't you also say:

4) I know I exist.
5) Knowledge exists.
6) I have the ability to hold knowledge.
X) The mathematical numbers 1-X exist.

Probably an infinite number of things like that, from which you could expand... Eh?

1. What is "Truth without redundancy?"

"Truth without redundancy" is a concept in scientific research that refers to the idea of stating facts or conclusions in a concise and precise manner, without including unnecessary or redundant information.

2. Why is "Truth without redundancy" important in science?

In science, it is crucial to accurately and efficiently communicate findings and conclusions. "Truth without redundancy" helps to avoid confusion and allows for clear and concise understanding of scientific concepts.

3. How can scientists achieve "Truth without redundancy"?

Scientists can achieve "Truth without redundancy" by carefully selecting and organizing their words and data, eliminating unnecessary or repeated information, and using precise and concise language.

4. What are the benefits of practicing "Truth without redundancy" in scientific research?

Practicing "Truth without redundancy" not only improves the clarity and accuracy of scientific communication, but it also helps to save time and resources by avoiding repetition and unnecessary details.

5. Are there any downsides to "Truth without redundancy"?

While "Truth without redundancy" is important in scientific research, it is also important to ensure that essential information is not omitted in the pursuit of brevity. It is necessary to strike a balance between being concise and providing all necessary information.