Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truth Wizards

1. Oct 15, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2004 #2
    The author didn't talk about the superliars, except that they may overcompensate. Do you suppose there are really good liars who know all the same signals, and are adept at hiding them? Do you suppose a "superliar" could fool a "truth wizard" just like some people try to beat the polygraph?

When I was a kid, my dad would say "look me in the eye" and say it. I would look him strait into the eyes and tell him the lie. He bought it, assuming lying while looking someone in the eye is impossible. Sometimes I would lie about something trivial. He may ask, "did you eat the last donut? I wanted it!" Then I'd say no while glancing away, fidgeting, stuttering etc. Now when the important time to lie came around he knows I would display those signals if lying, so I would just hide them. My success rate was about 95%, but I don't think I could fool one of these proffessional "truth wizards" or a polygraph.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?