What is the origin of the word ufologically?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, "truthiness" is a new word that refers to something that feels or seems true, even if it may not be factual. Another new word, "ufologically", means with respect to UFOs or UFO activity. Other new words mentioned in the conversation include "crotchfruit" and "Jacksonabile".
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"truthiness" and all that

I couldn't find the thread about new words, but I just heard one that made me laugh -

Ufologically
Adverb; with respect to UFOs or UFO activity. :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Some new-word threads:
Coinage
Ignoranus
Truthiness

I'm surprised crotchfruit hasn't caught on.

Can you use ufologically in a sentence?

Ufologically, the universe of the X-Files is far richer and more interesting than the universe of reality.

loseyourname said:
Ufologically, the universe of the X-Files is far richer and more interesting than the universe of reality.
Cute. I bet you can't come up with another one.

You will never catch me using the word ufologically.

Ivan Seeking said:
You will never catch me using the word ufologically.
Never? :rolleyes:

I'll creat some new stupid words
The Coinage effect
Jacksonabile-possibilty of a celeberity doing somthing supid onn TV ex: Wardrobe malfuncation at the superbowl,going to court in your pajams

What is truthiness and why is it important?

Truthiness refers to the quality or state of being perceived as true or authentic, regardless of whether it is actually true. It gained popularity from comedian Stephen Colbert, but the concept has been studied by philosophers and psychologists for centuries. Understanding truthiness is important because it can help us recognize and avoid false information and make better decisions based on actual truth.

How does truthiness affect scientific research?

Truthiness can have a significant impact on scientific research. It can lead researchers to make biased interpretations or manipulate data to support their own beliefs. This can result in flawed studies and unreliable conclusions. Scientists must remain objective and prioritize factual evidence over personal biases to ensure the integrity of their research.

Can truthiness be beneficial in any way?

In some cases, truthiness can have positive effects. For example, it can help individuals maintain hope and optimism in difficult situations. It can also be used in entertainment and storytelling to engage and entertain audiences. However, when it comes to important matters such as politics or science, truthiness should not be relied upon as it can be misleading and have harmful consequences.

How can we combat truthiness?

There are several ways to combat truthiness. First, it is important to fact-check information and not blindly believe everything we hear or read. We should also be aware of our own biases and actively seek out diverse perspectives. Critical thinking skills are crucial in recognizing and questioning truthiness. Additionally, promoting transparency and honesty in communication can help reduce the spread of false information.

Can truthiness ever be justified?

While truthiness may seem like a harmless concept, it should not be justified. The pursuit of truth is essential for progress and advancement in society. Justifying truthiness can undermine the credibility of experts and lead to the spread of misinformation. It is important to always prioritize truth and evidence over personal beliefs or biases.