Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Try this!

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    Don't cheat! Because if you did, the test would be no fun.I promise, there are no tricks to the test.
    Read the sentence below and count the F's in that sentence.Count them ONLY ONCE. Do not go back and count them again.
    See solutions for your score below (it's whited out).

select to see:

There are six F's in the sentence.

There is no catch.
    Many people forget the "OF"'s.
    The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's.
    Pretty weird, huh?

I couldn't believe it, I concentrated very hard. Determined to count every single one, but still counted 3! :frown::rofl:

I want to make sure I am not the only one :grumpy:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2

Six, my friend :smile: But only because I'm encountered this specific one at least six times probably.
  4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    Thats another thing that pissed me off..

I remembered doing one, and missed F's on that one too... lol

Seeing as I have seen this before other people probably have too. Hopefully there are a few that will fall for it and feel as dumb as I did. :-p
  5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    Everytime I see the 'Finished Files...', 6 is the number that comes to mind. :D
  6. Jun 30, 2007 #5

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I only counted three as well!
  7. Jun 30, 2007 #6
    i counted 3 =O
  8. Jun 30, 2007 #7

Gold Member

I did cheat and read it over twice. Got 4 the first time and 5 the second. Missed that last damned 'of'. :redface:
  9. Jun 30, 2007 #8

Staff: Mentor

Only because I remembered the "of" thing from previous scenarios I counted 6, "for" is another word people miss.
  10. Jun 30, 2007 #9
    5 the first time n then 6(in the second hit ofcourse)
  11. Jun 30, 2007 #10
    In the answer 'circles provided, it is stated that "The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's." I do not think that I "see them as V's." It may well have something to do with the way I pronounce words as opposed to, say, Americans or the British. But this brings up a question that has been nagging me for some time. I have noticed in quite a few internet forums that many people (USAmericans, as far I've seen) tend to write 'should of', 'could of' instead of the usual 'should have/should've' and 'could have/could've'. Is this form of writing restricted only to (informal?) US English?
  12. Jun 30, 2007 #11

Your brain doesn't see them as v's, it's that we tend to overlook words like "of" because we're focussing on the key words.

It's not correct English, even informal, it's a mistake where people are typing phonectically, and a very widespread mistake at that.
  13. Jun 30, 2007 #12
    Thanks for clearing that up, Evo. :)
  14. Jun 30, 2007 #13

Gold Member

Since I'm not a native speaker I counted 6 at the very 1st try!
  15. Jun 30, 2007 #14
    3 for me! Those pesky f's are hard to keep track of!
  16. Jun 30, 2007 #15

Also you're smarter than the average bear. And you probably don't know what that means. It's a compliment.
  17. Jun 30, 2007 #16

Homework Helper

3 F's. Probably because of the typical focusing on the key words. But then again, one needed to look for the F's ! This is interesting.
  18. Jun 30, 2007 #17

Gold Member

Thanks! Yea, I had to google to see what that means!:tongue:
  19. Jun 30, 2007 #18

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Holy crap! I put in a concerted effort when I counted the Fs, and even cheated and counted again, but only found 3! Wow. :bugeye:
  20. Jun 30, 2007 #19
    Yea, with the 'seeing them as v's' thing, I just copied and pasted from the email I got.:smile:

Thats the exact same feeling I had! :tongue2: (although I didn't count again)
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  21. Jul 1, 2007 #20
    Lol, this is "effing" great.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?