Count the F's in the Sentence: Uncover the Truth!

• Thread starter dontdisturbmycircles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Count
In summary: I put in a concerted effort when I counted the Fs, and even cheated and counted again, but only found 3! Wow. :bugeye:In summary, the test is not rigged. There are no tricks to it.
dontdisturbmycircles
Don't cheat! Because if you did, the test would be no fun.I promise, there are no tricks to the test.
Read the sentence below and count the F's in that sentence.Count them ONLY ONCE. Do not go back and count them again.
See solutions for your score below (it's whited out).

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RE-
SULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIF-
IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

select to see:

There are six F's in the sentence.

There is no catch.
Many people forget the "OF"'s.
The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's.
Pretty weird, huh?

I couldn't believe it, I concentrated very hard. Determined to count every single one, but still counted 3! :frown::rofl:

I want to make sure I am not the only one :grumpy:

Physics news on Phys.org
Six, my friend :smile: But only because I'm encountered this specific one at least six times probably.

Thats another thing that pissed me off..

I remembered doing one, and missed F's on that one too... lol

Seeing as I have seen this before other people probably have too. Hopefully there are a few that will fall for it and feel as dumb as I did. :-p

Everytime I see the 'Finished Files...', 6 is the number that comes to mind. :D

I only counted three as well!

i counted 3 =O

I did cheat and read it over twice. Got 4 the first time and 5 the second. Missed that last damned 'of'. :redface:

Only because I remembered the "of" thing from previous scenarios I counted 6, "for" is another word people miss.

5 the first time n then 6(in the second hit ofcourse)

In the answer 'circles provided, it is stated that "The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's." I do not think that I "see them as V's." It may well have something to do with the way I pronounce words as opposed to, say, Americans or the British. But this brings up a question that has been nagging me for some time. I have noticed in quite a few internet forums that many people (USAmericans, as far I've seen) tend to write 'should of', 'could of' instead of the usual 'should have/should've' and 'could have/could've'. Is this form of writing restricted only to (informal?) US English?

neutrino said:
In the answer 'circles provided, it is stated that "The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's." I do not think that I "see them as V's."
Your brain doesn't see them as v's, it's that we tend to overlook words like "of" because we're focussing on the key words.

I have noticed in quite a few internet forums that many people (USAmericans, as far I've seen) tend to write 'should of', 'could of' instead of the usual 'should have/should've' and 'could have/could've'. Is this form of writing restricted only to (informal?) US English?
It's not correct English, even informal, it's a mistake where people are typing phonectically, and a very widespread mistake at that.

Thanks for clearing that up, Evo. :)

Since I'm not a native speaker I counted 6 at the very 1st try!

3 for me! Those pesky f's are hard to keep track of!

Lisa! said:
Since I'm not a native speaker I counted 6 at the very 1st try!
Also you're smarter than the average bear. And you probably don't know what that means. It's a compliment.

3 F's. Probably because of the typical focusing on the key words. But then again, one needed to look for the F's ! This is interesting.

Evo said:
Also you're smarter than the average bear. And you probably don't know what that means. It's a compliment.

Thanks! Yea, I had to google to see what that means!:tongue:

Holy crap! I put in a concerted effort when I counted the Fs, and even cheated and counted again, but only found 3! Wow. :bugeye:

Yea, with the 'seeing them as v's' thing, I just copied and pasted from the email I got.:smile:

morphism said:
Holy crap! I put in a concerted effort when I counted the Fs, and even cheated and counted again, but only found 3! Wow. :bugeye:

Thats the exact same feeling I had! :tongue2: (although I didn't count again)

Last edited:
Lol, this is "effing" great.

1. How many F's are there in the sentence?

The sentence contains six F's.

2. Why is it difficult to count the F's in this sentence?

It can be difficult to count the F's because some of them are disguised as the letter E, making them easy to overlook.

3. How can I make sure I count all the F's correctly?

The best way to ensure an accurate count is to read the sentence slowly and carefully, paying close attention to each letter. It may also be helpful to use a pen or highlighter to mark each F as you find it.

4. Is there a trick to counting the F's in this sentence?

Some people find it helpful to cover up the letters that are not F's while counting, so they can focus only on the F's in the sentence.

5. What is the purpose of this exercise?

This exercise is a fun way to test your attention to detail and to challenge your brain. It also highlights how our brains can sometimes trick us into overlooking important details.