Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Try to solve 10=(e^x)/x

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    Hey, new here, I just want to know how can i solve that, i mean i know that there is 2 solutions and i can pove it pretty easily but. How can i found solution x1 and x2 for the following equation :

10=ex/x

Hope anyone can help >.< ( PS: I'm foreign please forgive me about my orthography)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Hello, and :welcome:

What do you regard as a solution? It can be expressed with the Lambert W-function or given numerically.

4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    Well in my assignment i need to express it numerically, which i can do really fine. But i wanted to go further and try to express it with the ProductLog function but dindn't found any ways to make it like x = ... with no x in the " ... " >.<

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4

fresh_42

You won't find any, because there is none. All you can achieve is an expression with the Lambert W-function like the one here. (And this function isn't really one.)

Edit: And of course the series expansion.

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5
    Sweet, thanks for the help

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6
    Wait hold on what does the -1 on the W-1(-0.1) means ?

8. Nov 30, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Have a look on the Wikipedia page I linked to:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted