1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying something new

1. Aug 11, 2006 #1
    OK, you might laugh at me for this, but...

I am looking at building microcontrollers, doing simple stuff for now, like cutting power to another controller, or doing a PID controller on a servo.

I am thinking about using simulink and real-time workshop to do this. (this is the funny)

My question is, how do I integrate external input sensors and output actuators into simulink so that RTW-generated C code takes those inputs, runs them through my model/program and gives the desired outputs?

And on the power one, that seems pretty basic, user input says switch ->, switch is a power switch, cutting voltage to 0V on board needing to be powered off.

But my question still stands. I am trying to do stuff without learning C syntax, just reading the code, getting familiar (i am doing stuff on desktop as well), so when I take my microcontroller class, I have a leg up.

Thanks all!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nope. To learn how to work with uCs, you need to at least buy a small kit and compiler and start writing code. No other way. Go for it!

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3
    Bummer. And there seemed to be so many resources out there from the matlab people.

recommendations as to what I should get for kit and compiler? and a book maybe? I hate finding stuff online, just too frustrating IMO.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?