Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying something new

1. Aug 11, 2006 #1
    OK, you might laugh at me for this, but...

I am looking at building microcontrollers, doing simple stuff for now, like cutting power to another controller, or doing a PID controller on a servo.

I am thinking about using simulink and real-time workshop to do this. (this is the funny)

My question is, how do I integrate external input sensors and output actuators into simulink so that RTW-generated C code takes those inputs, runs them through my model/program and gives the desired outputs?

And on the power one, that seems pretty basic, user input says switch ->, switch is a power switch, cutting voltage to 0V on board needing to be powered off.

But my question still stands. I am trying to do stuff without learning C syntax, just reading the code, getting familiar (i am doing stuff on desktop as well), so when I take my microcontroller class, I have a leg up.

Thanks all!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Nope. To learn how to work with uCs, you need to at least buy a small kit and compiler and start writing code. No other way. Go for it!

4. Aug 12, 2006 #3
    Bummer. And there seemed to be so many resources out there from the matlab people.

recommendations as to what I should get for kit and compiler? and a book maybe? I hate finding stuff online, just too frustrating IMO.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?