Trying to answer a successive approximation question

In summary: I'm sure you'll like it..you're a fan of my electronics blog posts.In summary, the conversation discusses a component connected to a reference voltage of Vref = 6V and given the value (2C)16 to convert. The participants also discuss how the A/D converter with 8 bits works based on successive approximation and how it compares to the continuous method. They also clarify the difference between an ADC and a DAC, and discuss the number of possible values represented by 8 and 10 bits.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
The following component is connected to a reference voltage of Vref = 6V. The component is given the value (2C)16 to convert. Calculate Vout.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/7396/figuringout.jpg

Basically I treated this supposedly successive approximation converter like any other converter is this calculation..hope it's valid?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me. :smile:

Thank you!

One tiny error... :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
One tiny error... :wink:

What? :uhh: What could that be?

Femme_physics said:
What could that be?
What we're discussing in your other thread. :uhh:

Which? I made way too many heh...:wink:

Femme_physics said:
Which? I made way too many heh...:wink:
I've suggested they create another sub-forum, Femmes_Forum.

Lol ;)

Did I actually made a tiny error? Can you please point it out, I can't see it.

I need to provide an explanation of how this A/D converter with 8 bits work based on successive approximation...but I'm still not sure I understand how successive approximation works. According to my notebook,
"
In this type of converter there is a logic system that's comprised of a shift register. The logic system provides a logic '1' to DAC from the MSB till the LSB, although if the comparator outputs '0' the logic system reboots the bit and this way you get binary digit that gets closer to the final number in each period. And Vout gets closer to Vin.
"

...But if the logic system REBOOTS the bit how come we get a binary number closer to the final number?

If I reboot my computer it just reboots my computer, it doesn't get me closer to any value.

For starters, it's a DAC and not an A/D converter.

"Rebooting" the bit only means that it sets the bit to zero.
It's similar to rebooting your computer, which sets ALL bits to zero. ;)

I like Serena said:
For starters, it's a DAC and not an A/D converter.
Well they've made a mistake in the question...don't look at me.

"Rebooting" the bit only means that it sets the bit to zero.
It's similar to rebooting your computer, which sets ALL bits to zero. ;)

Yes, but Successive Approximation graph is like this:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7590/sasan.jpg

How...does...it do it?

The explanation doesn't let me know that

Femme_physics said:
Well they've made a mistake in the question...don't look at me.

I am looking at you. :)
Your problem statement shows a DAC, but a successive approximation converter is an ADC...
Yes, but Successive Approximation graph is like this:
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7590/sasan.jpg

How...does...it do it?

The explanation doesn't let me know that

So we are talking about an ADC now.

It starts with the most significant bit, which corresponds to the number 128.
In your case the input has a higher voltage, so this bit is set, and we move on the the second bit.

The second bit corresponds to the value 64, for a total of 128+64=172.
In your case the input has a lower voltage, so this bit is reset (or "rebooted" if you will).
So we remain at 128 and try the 3rd bit next (corresponding to 32, for a total of 128+32=160).

And so on...

So it's basically doing guesswork based on constant numbers?

I don't see how could it be necessarily faster than the continuous method?

Your problem statement shows a DAC, but a successive approximation converter is an ADC...

Ah..you're right, the question is not about the pic I posted

Femme_physics said:
So it's basically doing guesswork based on constant numbers?

I don't see how could it be necessarily faster than the continuous method?

Not guess work, but successive measurements which determine each bit.

In 8 steps the analog input signal is converted into the 8-bit number 175.The alternative method that counts from 0 up, would need 175 steps to count up to 175.Now I'd say that 8 steps is a marked improvement over 175 steps.
(It's a gem in electronic engineering. ;)

Why do we even use the continuous one if it's so crappy? A matter of cost?

I think it's a matter of exercise and education.

If they'd give you the schematic of a direct conversion ADC, that'd be pretty overwhelming.
But the principle given by a count-from-zero circuit makes the material understandable.
And ultimately it does the same thing, just slower.

Ah...understood. :) Perfectly... I like it. Thanks. Do you know what made Nascent Oxygen say my calculation was wrong?

I believe NascentO2 meant there should be (28-1) in the denominator instead of 28.
As far as I'm concerned both would be okay.

Since your teacher gave you 28 in the denominator, I'd say there was no error.

I like Serena said:
Your problem statement shows a DAC, but a successive approximation converter is an ADC...So we are talking about an ADC now.

It starts with the most significant bit, which corresponds to the number 128.
In your case the input has a higher voltage, so this bit is set, and we move on the the second bit.

The second bit corresponds to the value 64, for a total of 128+64=172.
In your case the input has a lower voltage, so this bit is reset (or "rebooted" if you will).
So we remain at 128 and try the 3rd bit next (corresponding to 32, for a total of 128+32=160).

And so on...

Just to clarify,

8 bits =256

10 bits = 1024etc etc...?
I like Serena said:
I believe NascentO2 meant there should be (28-1) in the denominator instead of 28.
As far as I'm concerned both are okay.

Since your teacher gave you 28 in the denominator, I'd say there was no error.
Gotcha :)

PS how fast am I?

Femme_physics said:
Just to clarify,

8 bits =256

10 bits = 1024

etc etc...?

Yes.

Gotcha :)

PS how fast am I?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :D

hehe..you rock!

When I say:8 bits =256

10 bits = 1024I know the left side is called bits...what do you call the right side? Number of values?

Yes.

8 bits means that the number of possible values is 256.

Furthermore the most significant bit represents the value 128.
And the least significant bit represents the value 1.

Thanks for the clarification...ohh a big blog update is coming up soon :)

You seem to be enthusiastic about electronics now! :)
So are you going to electrify cardboard men any time soon?

I'll be waiting for your blog update!

Oh yea, I'm always super enthusiastic before an external test. Truth is we got 3 more months but we haven't covered "power systems" good enough (translating that term from Hebrew). Worst of all, we were given a notebook without final answers written out, and our teacher seems to be neglecting a lot of material and letting us figure a lot for ourselves. (he's a good teacher in terms of explaining the material, just negligent in terms of scope of material since it's his first year teaching).

I made it a personal mission to help my classmates (and myself) get to the answers and be able to explain it. I plan to volunteer my time in explaining electronics to struggling classmates. I solved nearly all of the exercise books in terms of the stuff we were taught so far. It's passover break so I was finally able to get a lot of work done!

Thanks a lot to you all. Yea, really enthusiastic about electronics indeed! :) NascentOxygen wasn't joking when he said they ought to open a femme_physics subforum :P

I'm getting my 1st year mechanics groove back on! :wink:

Thanks to you all...really...

Volunteering time to help classmates?
Where did you get that from? :smile:

I just checked your blog... but... where are the solutions to the electronic exercises?

1. How do you define a successive approximation question?

A successive approximation question is a scientific inquiry that involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller, more manageable parts and gradually refining the answers until a satisfactory solution is obtained.

2. What is the purpose of using successive approximation in research?

The purpose of using successive approximation in research is to systematically approach a problem and make incremental progress towards finding a solution. This method allows for a more thorough and accurate understanding of the problem and helps researchers avoid oversimplification.

3. How is a successive approximation question different from other types of research questions?

A successive approximation question is different from other types of research questions because it focuses on the process of finding a solution rather than the outcome. This type of question is often used in complex and dynamic systems where there is no clear answer.

4. What are the key steps in answering a successive approximation question?

The key steps in answering a successive approximation question include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, establishing a starting point, making incremental improvements, and continuously evaluating and refining the solution until a satisfactory outcome is achieved.

5. How can successive approximation be applied in real-world situations?

Successive approximation can be applied in real-world situations such as problem-solving in business, engineering, and medicine. It can also be used in decision-making processes, conflict resolution, and policy-making to systematically approach complex problems and find effective solutions.