Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to build a device used in an experiment with cancer and I need any help I can

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    The generator of AM EMFs consists of a battery-driven radiofrequency (RF) EMF generator connected to a 1.5 m long 50 Ω coaxial cable, to the other end of which a stainless-steel spoon-shaped mouthpiece is connected via an impedance transformer (Figure 1A). The RF source of the device corresponds to a class C amplifier operating at 27.12 MHz. The carrier frequency is AM (Figure 1B) with a modulation depth of 85±5%, whereas the modulation frequency is generated by a digital direct synthesiser with a resolution of 10−7. The treatment sequence is controlled by a microcontroller (Atmel AT89S8252, Fribourg, Switzerland), that is, duration of session, sequence of modulation frequencies and duration of each sequence can be programmed via PC over a RS232 interface. The RF output is adjusted to 100 mW into a 50 Ω load, which results in an emitting power identical to that of the device used for the treatment of insomnia

This is basically what the setup of the experiment was, now I just would like to know what I would need to do as far as setting up the system, like what I would need to buy. I would also appreciate if anyone could give me details on what everything means. I am a physics student, but I am completely useless when it comes to electronics, and I would like to get this done in a relatively short amount of time if possible

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted