1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to build a gas collecting chamber above a packed bed

1. May 14, 2017 #1
    Hi guys,

I'm a graduate student and currently doing some research on a packed bed - I want to collect gas data from the headspace of my samples so i thought of building a gas collecting chamber on top of the vessel, where i can take gas measurements using calorimetric gas tubes. I'm not sure where to start and what key parameters i should be looking out for first. I attached a sketch of what i'm thinking it should look like. The idea is that when i want to sample the gas i would close stopcock (1) - open (2) / (3) until the liquid fills about half the chamber > close (3) and (2) and open (1). Now that the chamber is filled i could open the aperture (4) and sample my gas. Once finished, i could use the drain to get rid of the liquid sample. I was also thinking of installing a cheap analog pressure gauge on the bottom of the chamber to get an idea of the hydro-static pressure. Please advise, would love to hear all your comments.http://imgur.com/a/aze9g

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted