Trying to build a miniature binary geothermal plant for education

In summary, the author is trying to build a miniature binary geothermal power plant. They have many questions about how to do this and they are seeking feedback from others. They aim to build a miniature plant on a hot plate to simulate subterranean heat and then use heat exchangers to demonstrate vaporization and condensation.
chemisthypnos
I am trying to build a miniature (it should fit on a desk) binary geothermal power plant for educational purposes. I obviously do not expect to drill into the ground with this power plant, but I hope to be able to demonstrate new design principles with it.
I have many questions as to how to do this. What size of piping do I use? How do I know what size turbine is appropriate for this use? How do I get vaporizing water to spin a turbine? etc...
In the end, I aim to place a part of this miniature plant on a hot plate to simulate subterranean heat, watch in real time as the water is vaporized to spin a turbine, use heat exchangers to have the same hot water vaporize a volatile fluid to spin another turbine, have the volatile fluid recondensed via evaporative cooling, and then have the original hot water returned to a reservoir.
I think that this will prove to be a great educational tool, but I need help in doing calculations for it and other design implementations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like a fun and educational project. :smile:

What are you going to use for your cool reservoir?

I am thinking of simply constructing a hyperbolic water cooling tower (at least I know how to do that). The rest of the design - I am much less certain of as I am a chemist by education, but I think that this would be really great if this could be built.

Likes berkeman
Reminds me of the put-put ( pop-pop ) boat which works ( like a geyser ) by heating the water in the chamber to steam which then exits the tube due to the increase in volume. Water then flows back into the chamber and the cycle starts again. Placing the tube(s) vertical and one could conceive and jerry rig some kind of geyser as long as you have some way of water to flow back into the chamber.
Just a thought.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pop_pop_boat

Likes Ibix
Wow. The ambition is staggering. You must have great mechanical skills to machine those things on such a small scale.

But no matter the skills, some things don't scale down well. The hyperbolic cooling tower is one such thing. I don't believe that a small one could generate the air currents necessary to make it really cool.

That pop pop boat suggested by @256bits is no joke. It would be much easier and faster to build and the students might find the physics easier to understand than turbines and cooling towers. You might consider something simpler like that as a pilot project.

We do have a sizable machine shop that could be used to create such a device. I suppose that the pop boats would probably be an easier demonstration of the principles, though. I never knew that these even existed! They are simple but amazing. Thank you all.

Likes 256bits, anorlunda and berkeman

1. How does a binary geothermal plant work?

A binary geothermal plant works by using the natural heat from the Earth's core to heat a liquid, typically water or a mixture of water and other chemicals, to produce steam. This steam is then used to power a turbine, which generates electricity. The unique aspect of a binary geothermal plant is that it uses a secondary loop to transfer heat from the geothermal fluid to the working fluid, allowing for a wider range of temperatures to be used.

2. What materials are needed to build a miniature binary geothermal plant?

The materials needed to build a miniature binary geothermal plant include a heat source, such as a small heat lamp or heating element, a container to hold the geothermal fluid, a secondary container for the working fluid, a turbine, and a generator. You will also need tubing or piping to transfer the fluids between the containers and a control system to regulate the temperature and flow of the fluids.

3. How much power can a miniature binary geothermal plant generate?

The power output of a miniature binary geothermal plant will depend on the size and efficiency of the components used. However, as a rough estimate, a small-scale binary geothermal plant can generate anywhere from 100-500 watts of electricity, which is enough to power small electronic devices or light bulbs.

4. Is it difficult to build a miniature binary geothermal plant?

Building a miniature binary geothermal plant can be a challenging project, especially for those without a background in engineering or geothermal energy. It requires knowledge of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and electrical engineering. However, with proper research, planning, and guidance, it is possible to build a functional and educational miniature binary geothermal plant.

5. What are the benefits of building a miniature binary geothermal plant for education?

Building a miniature binary geothermal plant for education has several benefits. It allows students to learn about renewable energy and the principles of geothermal energy in a hands-on and interactive way. It also promotes critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills. Additionally, it can spark interest and curiosity in the field of geothermal energy and inspire future scientists and engineers to pursue this field of study.