Building Software for Damped Pendulum in Electric Field

In summary, the speaker has spoken to a physics teacher, consulted strangers on the internet, and searched on Google for information on building a software simulation of a damped-oscillation non-zero charged metallic-sphere pendulum within a uniform electric field. They want to include electrical and gravitational forces and have a different damping coefficient for each side of the vertical line from which the pendulum oscillates. They are unsure if their understanding of the damping coefficient is correct and need help finding its value. They also want to know if they can change the value of g for different planets and if their logic is correct. They appreciate any help as it is difficult to find information on this topic. Additionally, the speaker discusses the possibility of induced charges affecting the motion
s3a
Firstly, I spoke to a Physics teacher and some strangers on the internet as well as Googled and this is the situation I am in now. I want to build a software simulation for school of a damped-oscillation non-zero charged metallic-sphere pendulum within the uniform electric field of a parallel-plate capacitor. I want electrical and gravitational forces to take effect. I do not want the direction of the electric field to change which means that I expect to have a different damping coefficient per side of the vertical line from which the pendulum oscillates. The vertical line is basically the line the pendulum will align itself with when it is at its lowest height which is also the length of the string below the point it is rotating from.

I am not 100% sure but I think that the damping coefficient is negative when the motion of the pendulum is in the same direction as the electric field lines (for a positive charge) because in that case the electric field helps the pendulum move faster whereas when it goes against the electric field there should be a positive damping coefficient if I'm correct because the electric field is some kind of "resistance" or "friction".

Firstly, I need to know if anything I said so far is wrong because one wrong thing could ruin my entire software and I also need help in finding the damping coefficient whether it's a predefined value on some site (I have Googled but cannot find it) or I have to calculate it myself in which case I have no idea how and would appreciated help on that. Also, what if gravity is not constant or if the user can select which planet their experiment is on? Do I simply change the value of g in the following equation?:

θ = θ0e-γt/(2m)sin[√(g/L - γ2/(4m2))*t + ϕ]

where:
θ: the angle the at which the metallic-sphere pendulum bob is at currently.

θ0: the angle at which the metallic-sphere pendulum bob is released from

ϕ: phase constant

γ: damping coefficient

L: length of the string

As far as the capacitor is concerned, I can ask anything as long as its not too extravagant to the user, since I'm studying the motion of the pendulum.

I need to know:

1) The value of γ for when the charge's motion due to the electric field is in the same direction as that of the natural tendency of the pendulum with gravity.

2) If I can change g such that I can use any planet as well as have gravity not be constant even though it'll change ever so slightly.

3) If my logic is 100% correct in the first place because someone has told me that the fact that both the electric field force and gravity are conservative means that the value of γ is always 0 but I disagree because if it's 0 then that means that it would move as if there was only gravity and no "supporting" or "resisting" force which there is (the force applied by the electric field).

Any help would mean A LOT to me because it's hard to find help for something like this and it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that the electric field will produce a damping force, i.e. a force opposing the motion. You are forgetting about induced charges moving around on the surface of the sphere. Whether the sphere is charged or not, the closer it gets to a plate of some sign, the more induced charge of the opposite sign will collect on the side closer to that plate which will increase the force between the ball and plate. This is the opposite of damping.

See the demo here. Even if the string in your ball is short enough to prevent the ball from touching the plates, you still will not get damped harmonic motion. Instead, the ball will swing and stop at angle closer to one of the plates, probably the one with the opposite sign of the charge that you put on it.

1. What is a damped pendulum in an electric field?

A damped pendulum in an electric field is a physical system that consists of a pendulum, which is a weight suspended from a pivot point, and an electric field, which is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. The pendulum experiences a damping force due to air resistance, and the electric field exerts a force on the pendulum due to the presence of an electric charge.

2. Why is it important to build software for a damped pendulum in an electric field?

Building software for a damped pendulum in an electric field allows for precise and accurate simulation of this physical system. This can be useful for understanding the behavior of the system and predicting its future motion. It can also aid in designing and optimizing real-life experiments involving a damped pendulum in an electric field.

3. What are the key components of software for a damped pendulum in an electric field?

The key components of software for a damped pendulum in an electric field include a mathematical model of the system, algorithms for solving the equations of motion, and a graphical user interface for visualizing the results. The software may also include features such as data logging, parameter customization, and error analysis.

4. What are the challenges in building software for a damped pendulum in an electric field?

One of the main challenges in building software for a damped pendulum in an electric field is accurately representing the complex interactions between the pendulum and the electric field. This requires a thorough understanding of the relevant physics principles and careful implementation of the mathematical model. Additionally, ensuring the software's accuracy and stability can be a challenge.

5. How can software for a damped pendulum in an electric field be used?

Software for a damped pendulum in an electric field can be used for various purposes, such as educational demonstrations, research simulations, and engineering design. It can also serve as a learning tool for students to understand the principles of damped motion and the effects of electric fields on physical systems. Additionally, the software can be used for analyzing and optimizing real-life experiments involving a damped pendulum in an electric field.