1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to define n/m when it exists in N.suppose m and n are

1. Nov 30, 2003 #1
    trying to define n/m when it exists in N.

suppose m and n are natural numbers and let [n,m] denote all functions from n (which is {0=Ø, 1, ..., n-1}) onto m. if [n,m] is empty, stop and say that m does not divide n.

consider the subset of functions f in [n,m] such that ~ defines an equivalence relation on n where x~y iff f(x)=f(y) and that each equivalence class has the same size q. call this set [[n,m]]. i'm guessing that if [[n,m]] is nonempty then it will be the same q for all functions in [n,m] such that ~ defines an equivalence relation partitioning n into equal sized parts (m parts each having q elements).

i suppose this is equivalent to saying
    [[n,m]]={f in [n,m] : for all z in m, card(f-1({z})) is constant}.

definition: if [[n,m]] is nonempty then let n/m=q. if [[n,m]] is empty say that m does not divide n.

question: n/m=q in this sense if and only if n/m=q in the usual sense? (i'll also have to decide if q is well defined.)

this is a definition of division not obviously equivalent to "the inverse of multiplication." one can now define multiplication to be the inverse of division!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

All right, let me see if I understand you.

In order to lessen potential sources of confusion, I'm going to use the notation [itex]\mathbb{N}_n = \{0, 1, \ldots, n-1\}[/itex].

Given two natural numbers [itex]n[/itex] and [itex]m[/itex], consider the set [itex](\mathbb{N}_m)^n \; (\,= (\mathbb{N}_m)^{\mathbb{N}_n}\,)[/itex], the set of all functions from [itex]\mathbb{N}_n[/tex] to [itex]\mathbb{N}_m[/itex].

We can then define [itex]n/m := q[/itex] where [itex]q[/itex] is a number having the property that there exists a function [itex]f[/itex] such that [itex]\forall z \in \mathbb{N}_m : |f^{-1}(z)| = q[/itex].

This is well-defined; [itex]q[/itex] exists iff [itex]n/m[/itex] exists, and [itex]q[/itex] is unique when it exists, but I fear that you might need to know multiplication to prove the uniqueness of [itex]q[/itex].

Edit: fixed logical mistake.

4. Nov 30, 2003 #3
    yeah, that's what i meant though my [itex](\mathbb{N}_m)^n[/itex] is the set of such functions that are onto.

that would suck.

i'm really aiming and doing a similar thing for infinite cardinals...

5. Nov 30, 2003 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a problem for infinite cardinals:

Consider the following elements of [itex]\mathbb{N}^\mathbb{N}[/itex]: [itex]f(x) = x[/itex], [itex]g(x) = \lfloor \frac{x}{2} \rfloor[/itex], and [itex]h(x) = n - 1[/itex] where [itex]p_n[/itex] is the smallest prime dividing [itex]x + 2[/itex].

[itex]f(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes [itex]0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | \ldots[/itex], indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=1[/itex].

[itex]g(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes [itex]0, 1 | 2, 3 | 4, 5 | 6, 7 | \ldots[/itex], indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=2[/itex].

[itex]h(x)[/itex] partitions [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] into the equivalence classes:

[tex]
    0, 2, 4, \ldots | 1, 7, 13, \ldots | 3, 23, 33, \ldots | \ldots
    [/itex]

indicating that indicating that [itex]\frac{\mathbb{N}}{\mathbb{N}}=\mathbb{N}[/itex].

Notice, though, that

[tex]\mathbb{N} = \mathbb{N} * 1 = \mathbb{N} * 2 = \mathbb{N} * \mathbb{N}[/tex].

6. Nov 30, 2003 #5
    this concept of "division" seemed to capture the statement [tex]\mathbb{N} = \mathbb{N} * 1 = \mathbb{N} * 2 = \mathbb{N} * \mathbb{N}[/tex]
    . i suppose no definition of division would be well defined for infinite cardinals.

7. Nov 30, 2003 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a superfluous condition if you do it right; I didn't do it right when I first wrote the post. :smile: If a function isn't onto, then the inverse image of some element will be the empty set (which is not [itex]q[/itex]), so we don't have to restrict ourselves to onto functions.

8. Nov 30, 2003 #7
    yeah i was wondering if you omitted that because you realized it was superfluous.

hmm... i wonder about 0/0

it would seem to be the case that by my definition, 0/0=0.

i also wonder about P(N)/N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?