1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to figure out a limit as x-->a

1. Jan 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the limit x->a of [(x+2)^5/3 - (a+2)^5/3] / (x-a)

2. Relevant equations

limit laws

3. The attempt at a solution

CALCULUS%20CHAPTER%202%20TEST%2001%20Limits-8_zps15cgn22c.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Does the formula in the third attempt remind you on something?

4. Jan 2, 2017 #3
    it looks like i'm trying to get a derivative. I am trying to do this without working using any derivatives and for some reason the power of 5/3 is completely messing with my head and i do not know how to proceed. i am still getting a 0/0 situation.

5. Jan 2, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Well, differentiation seems to be the shortest way. Otherwise you probably will have to follow the paths the differentiating formulas are proven. The power ##\frac{1}{3}## is the difficulty here, for you cannot expand it easily. Why do you want to restrict yourself, once you already have the formula for the first derivative?

6. Jan 2, 2017 #5
    The restriction is due to the question is apparently brought up before any derivatives are introduced. So apparently this is do-able without using straight up differentiation. Yes, the 1/3 is killing me. and i have no idea how to approach it.

7. Jan 2, 2017 #6

fresh_42

I've just looked up how ##\frac{d}{dx} x^{\alpha}=\alpha x^{\alpha-1}## is proven for non-integer values ##\alpha##.
    It's done by the chain rule and ##x^\alpha = \exp(\alpha \ln x)##. Perhaps this might help and you may use properties of the exponential function. Another substitution ##y=x+2## should decrease writing work.

8. Jan 2, 2017 #7
    Set ##X=(x+2)^{1/3}## ##A=(a+2)^{1/3}## then the it becomes ##\lim_{X\rightarrow A}{\frac{X^5-A^5}{X^3-A^3}}## . Hope I am right here and this helps.

9. Jan 2, 2017 #8
    DELTA:
    this seems to take care of it - provided you know how to expand a sum of powers to a high level - had to look it up to be honest:

so revised sheet:
    CALCULUS%20CHAPTER%202%20TEST%2001%20Limits-82_zpshpcpjng5.jpg

10. Jan 7, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Correct result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted